• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump doesn't hold fuel after stopping

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
and this results in long starts (I keep forgetting to wait a bit before turning the key). Anyways, is there anything simple that goes bad inside the fuel pump that can be taken care of (my dad's dodge van had a hose the just cracked open) or is it a one piece swap thing?

The fuel system is a 'constant flow' system, what does not get used by the engine gets returned to the tank, this constant flow also keeps the pump cool other wise it would burn out. The check valve is in the tank. Did you switch pumps when you did the swap over ?? If not then you probably have the cranky 97 pump that they have the recall on.

From what I understand they replace the whole pump and I 'think' the sender and check valve are part of it. If it has already been done you'r outta luck

alldata.com or something like that..

RichP said:
From what I understand they replace the whole pump and I 'think' the sender and check valve are part of it. If it has already been done you'r outta luck

alldata.com or something like that..
Ohhh I hope it's not been done.. cause the bugger is expensive :eek:

Couple thing there Remy. The 755 recall is just the level sensor and float replacement, not the whole module. The other thing is that the 96 and up XJs do not have any return lines in the system.

That being said, you most likely need a new fuel pump. There aren't any servicable parts inside the pump assembly, at least none that I know of.

Bryan

You can get a replacement pump at Pepboys, if there is one in your area. It's cheaper than the dealer price and it's not that hard to replace yourself. If you can get the recall fix on it then go for it. If not, keep the Pepboys replacement in mind. Not sure if Autozone, Napa or checker have them.... just don't remember actually.

Bryan C. said:
Couple thing there Remy. The 755 recall is just the level sensor and float replacement, not the whole module. The other thing is that the 96 and up XJs do not have any return lines in the system.

That being said, you most likely need a new fuel pump. There aren't any servicable parts inside the pump assembly, at least none that I know of.

Bryan

No wonder I never figured out which one is the return, Just read the manual [duh] and the return is done internally in the fuel pump module. That had to be there to keep the pump cool. It says the sending unit is 'serviceable' as a seperate item. Everyone I know that had the recall done had the whole pump assy replaced by the dealer.
I would not go with an aftermarket either, it's too much work to change on the 97+, no way are you going to reach in there and remove it w/o dropping the tank and I have read here and on the old board about how many aftermarket pumps went bad....I don't care if AA does come with a lifetime warranty.
Idea: As long as you do this why not cut an access hole in the floor in the back then just cover it with steel and screw it down. If I find myself in the postion to do this when mine goes I know I will... Chrysler did that with alot of their other cars, had access holes in the trunks for fuel pump changes.. For sure the daytona's had them.

Back