• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whoo hooo! Stroker time!

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, my engine was diagnosed as being seized today. Normally this would be a bad thing, but me being the optimist that I am see it as being an opportunity.....it's stroker time!

I am seeking the advice to all those who have done or helped build one of these. I am not mechanicly inclined when it comes to engine internals but luckily I have a few buddies who are, and say they will help me build this puppy.

First things first here ( http://jakesracingengines.com/jeep page 2.htm ) are the guys I'm looking at for the 4.7L stroker. Anyone deal with these guys? I know accurate power has the same kit, what are you opinions on the two? Also, I need a full list of other things I will need to get to complement my stroker, I have a high flow intake and a cat-back system as we speak. I am also curious on what they typically charge for the block work I.E. boring, honing, and cleaning. Finally, last question, I am budgeting myself to $2700.00 anyone think this is a unrealalistic budget?

Thanks any help would be awesome!
Nick

My budget is about $2,000, with machine work, and I'm under, even with custom pistons and Eagle Rods.

4.2 crank ($125)(local Kragen)
Isky 133125/26 cam ($133) (Isky)
All new MOPAR valvetrain. ($250) (jeepconnection.com)
Venolia forged pistons. ($450) (American Speed Center)
Eagle 4.0 rods. ($150) (American Speed Center)
Gaskets, oil pump, rings, etc. ($310) (RockAuto.com) <-----I highly recommend these guys for any small parts, gasket, OEM style stuff. Best prices and lightning fast shipping.

.020 off of the head, .010 off of the block, .020 bore, 1.365 pin height on the pistons, 9.12 to 1 compression, ~.500 quench.

A very nice recipe for a stroker that will make very good torque and run on 87 octane. Figure on $500 for machine work at a shop that knows what they are doing.

CRASH

Last edited:
Danm Crash! You got everything figured out for a hot stroker there! One question though, What brand/thickness head gasket are you going to use?

A good stroker info page to be had is here at: Http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

AARON

anyone here do the 5.0L stroker looks kinda sick. way nicer then v8 swap cleaner simpler and well your only runnin 6 plugs and beetin the 8 guys.

WIll

mad maXJ said:
hey CRASH, where are you getting your machine work done? and is that gonna get you a 4.7?

It's about 4.6. 4.7 requries a .060 overbore.

Maximum overbore recommended by Mopar Performance for high output applications is .030", with .020" being ideal.

I've heard too many nightmares about .060" overbore cooling issues.

Machine shop is Moore's Enigine Machine on Hwy 49, across from Bel Air.

CRASH

CRASH said:
It's about 4.6. 4.7 requries a .060 overbore.

Maximum overbore recommended by Mopar Performance for high output applications is .030", with .020" being ideal.

I've heard too many nightmares about .060" overbore cooling issues.

Machine shop is Moore's Enigine Machine on Hwy 49, across from Bel Air.

CRASH

:eek: .060 over?!?! That's a little scary...
Billy

afjeep2082 said:
Ok guys, my engine was diagnosed as being seized today. Normally this would be a bad thing, but me being the optimist that I am see it as being an opportunity.....it's stroker time!

I am seeking the advice to all those who have done or helped build one of these. I am not mechanicly inclined when it comes to engine internals but luckily I have a few buddies who are, and say they will help me build this puppy.

First things first here ( http://jakesracingengines.com/jeep page 2.htm ) are the guys I'm looking at for the 4.7L stroker. Anyone deal with these guys? I know accurate power has the same kit, what are you opinions on the two? Also, I need a full list of other things I will need to get to complement my stroker, I have a high flow intake and a cat-back system as we speak. I am also curious on what they typically charge for the block work I.E. boring, honing, and cleaning. Finally, last question, I am budgeting myself to $2700.00 anyone think this is a unrealalistic budget?

Thanks any help would be awesome!
Nick
not to hyjack but im gonna follow this thred close. how many miles on old motor what caused seizeure?

Last edited:
lunghd said:
Why? The 4.0L has plenty of material to bore out that far.

If this is the case, why does MOPAR recommend no more than a .030 overbore?

CRASH

My stroker in process is in the basement...gettin the head worked over a bit...hehe
BTW ....060 is not all that crazy...there's a few guys out there that have gone to 4" bores but they had their blocks sonic tested and they could probably afford it if they blew it up...

You can even go to 5.0 but only with a custom offset ground crank and some crazy modified valvetrain. Last I read the crank alone was a grand or two. Rated at 383 HP... Article in JP magazine last year. For that kinda dough I'd buy a blower and forget about it...In case you need a comparo...here's my specs and I'm a little over $2500 right now

pre HO 4.0 block bored .060

258 crank

pre HO 4.0 connecting rods w/ARP bolts

Childs & Alberts custom forged aluminum pistons w/23cc dish 1.392 compression ht.
+ .010 deck on a stock 4.0 block = .042 quench (factory gasket)
.930 pin dia.

Camshaft: (Intake/Exhaust) 254°/262° adv. dur.,
210°/218°dur. @ .050"
lift, .477"/.493" valve lift, 1000-5200rpm, 111° lobe
separation

Crane valve springs/retainers w/SS valves

Cloyes Tru-Roller timing chain

early HO head w/major polish & porting

early HO intake & Flometrics 68mm throttle body

FoMoCo 26# injectors

Melling hi-volume oil pump

All this being run by a Renix TPS and an adjustable MAP sensor

etc. etc. etc. on all the minor doodads...Haven't decided on Borla or Banks on the header yet...

Want all the info you could ever want on Jeep strokers? Join the Yahoo strokers group..those guys helped put me on the right track, there's many combinations depending on your cash and intended purpose..

Gil Bullykatz

p.s. I still want a kenne bell or an Eaton blower :firedevil

mn_xj said:
not to hyjack but im gonna follow this thred close. how many miles on old motor what caused seizure?

I had 128,000 miles on it and the seizure was do to oil pump failure, kinda all of a sudden happened...noticed no oil pressure at idol and had to go downtown to be showen a apartment and well I didn't make it back.

Want to hear something funny about a siezed 6... a friend of mine bought a pristine cherokee with a siezed motor for 500 bucks. The chick that owned it had the same pump failure. she just wanted to trade it in for a car.

He changed the oil and over filled it, and turned some bolt with a breaker bar at the front of the block. He said he got it to turn, and would do that a couple times a day. Then he changed the oil, and cranked it over a couple of times over that week and changed the oil again. Then he cranked it up and let it run for a couple of minutes. The next week he changed the oil again and drove it home. He is still driving it, now for about 4 months.

NOW, that's amazing, and tells a lot about the tough ol' straight 6.

Greddy

lunghd said:
The same reason they stopped makin' the XJ. They have idiots working there.

Good answer. I'm sure that the thousands of qualified engineers that work at a major automotive firm like Daimler-Chrylser can not hold a candle to the insight and ingenuity of a garage mechanic. :rolleyes:

From "Jeep Engines"", 3rd Edition", page 134.

"Boring and Milling Specifications:

Because it is a thin-wall casting design, the 4.0L can only be over-bored .030" (maximum), although .020" (maximum) is preferred. Regardless of the amount of overbore, if the engine is to be used for high-output racing purposes, the cylinder wall thickness should be checked to be sure the block doesn't have a bad case of core shift."

CRASH

Gil Bullykatz - Looks like a nice set up ya got goin' there. I remember seein' ya on the list.

Yup - the stroker group is great but I would like to add to anyone headed there to PLEASE search the archived posts then lurk a while and read a bit before posting.

I can just about guarantee that ANY question ya have on strokers has been answered at least once! Check out the files section too - some good info there. Dino's website has a ton of info on strokers & basic combos. His site was the one I kept hitting when trying to decide what I wanted my motor to do (which helps ya decide what to put into it!) - Check his site out at http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

Some more info / links at: http://home.earthlink.net/~jeepcherokee1/Stroker/Stroker.htm

CRASH said:
Good answer. I'm sure that the thousands of qualified engineers that work at a major automotive firm like Daimler-Chrylser can not hold a candle to the insight and ingenuity of a garage mechanic. :rolleyes:

From "Jeep Engines"", 3rd Edition", page 134.

"Boring and Milling Specifications:

Because it is a thin-wall casting design, the 4.0L can only be over-bored .030" (maximum), although .020" (maximum) is preferred. Regardless of the amount of overbore, if the engine is to be used for high-output racing purposes, the cylinder wall thickness should be checked to be sure the block doesn't have a bad case of core shift."

CRASH
Dude, I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you. - The 4.0L has no problem with .060. -

Now put the book down and step away from the keyboard... we have you surrounded. (We also have strokers bored .060 . Do you?)

lunghd said:
Dude, I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you. - The 4.0L has no problem with .060. -

Now put the book down and step away from the keyboard... we have you surrounded. (We also have strokers bored .060 . Do you?)

No need for a pissing contest.

What you are saying is just in direct contradiction to the factory recomendation, and I want the people on this board to understand that. I'm thrilled your .060 motor is working well for you.

How many cubic inches do you gain by going .060" over rather than .020" over? Like 5? Is it worth the risk of getting a cylinder with a thin wall and getting hotspots?

You have to admit, though, that this was a rather adolescent reponse:

"The same reason they stopped makin' the XJ. They have idiots working there."

CRASH

Ive seen 4.0s w/a 4" stroke.

Yeah, thats about a .130 overbore.

Id go with .030 just so if I ever decided to rehaul my motor AGAIN, I could easily do it.

Back