• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount switches? Answer inside!

Depending on how many relays you need to install, the factory PDC is a great location. It generally has 2-4 empty mini-ISO relay sockets, scavenge the terminals needed from a junkyard XJ and plug em in. That's where I have my 98's fan override relay and I likely will add more in the future (fog light relays, fuel system kill switch, etc... it's great because it looks 100% factory if done right.)

Depending on how many relays you need to install, the factory PDC is a great location. It generally has 2-4 empty mini-ISO relay sockets, scavenge the terminals needed from a junkyard XJ and plug em in. That's where I have my 98's fan override relay and I likely will add more in the future (fog light relays, fuel system kill switch, etc... it's great because it looks 100% factory if done right.)

Yep, and this was one of the thoughts I had regarding plumbing everything in (the idea's still on the cards, BTW). Part of what has me looking to do a custom relay box, though, is that if there's an electrical fault with anything I've run in, it all terminates to a single point. In theory, I'll have run all the circuits so it should make troubleshooting a bit easier since I'll know exactly where everything runs.

I'll fully-admit that it's largely a case of six of one, half-dozen of the other, though - it's not so much that one idea is better than each comes with its own tradeoffs.

If you get a chance, could you describe what you did for relays? It's become very apparent that I'm going to need to build a relay box for my stuff, and am looking for ideas. FitchVA's looks really nice (http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=60), but I'm open to other ideas as well.

I was considering making something like FitchVA's set up, but I wanted everything in the engine compartment and couldn't find a spot big enough to stash a box. I decided to just mount everything on the firewall instead. Don't mind the mess, this pic was taken early on in the wiring process. I really need to snap some shots of everything now that it is nearly done and tidied up a bit.

100_8820.jpg

I relocated my power ports to the front face of my center console using Jim's marine receptacles from Otrattw.com and put all 8 of my switches in the factory location by making a plate to hold them. Very easy to do.

864987da.jpg

Looks cool! I know you said you relocated the 12V outlets, but where did the rear window wiper and defroster controls end up? Also, have you wired up the switches yet? If so, any issue with the back lights on the switches shining in your eyes at night? I know OTRATTW sells two different lighting configurations because of this issue when installing Carling's in the factory spot on TJ's. Just curious if that problem carried over to the XJ's or not.

I mounted my master on/off switch for my milemarker in the hole where the cigarette lighter used to be. It fit too perfect to consider mounting it anywhere else

stephen046.jpg

the solenoid is in the engine compartment

stephen045.jpg

I have since mounted a power outlet behind the dash useing the wires from the removed cigarette lighter so that my GPS could stay plugged in.

Great thread! I was wondering if anyone had a good link/source for stock type switches - I am doing these switch panels:

9cd3c1a0569d7dab26cc74e1e4672b9d.jpg

710x528_15383315_9108625_1471203216.jpg

And I want the stock type switches. I have found a few on ebay but would like a single source with customizable options.

Old thread I know. Just trying to keep things searchable.

Looking for something else I ran across these: Air vent electrical switch mount. Mount for two rocker switches per air vent. They would reduce airflow but not eliminate it.

Does that actually fit YJs and 96- XJs? It says it does... But I'm not so sure. I guess I should go look.

I can't see how - 84-96 nowhere near that shape. That's TJ and97+XJ only, I'd say whoever wrote up that fitment list doesn't know what a pre-97 XJ dash vent even looks like.

Do you have to use "plenum" wire? :roflmao:

Right? You'd want flex rated wire to avoid it breaking after moving the vent around a few dozen times, too.

I can't see how - 84-96 nowhere near that shape. That's TJ and97+XJ only, I'd say whoever wrote up that fitment list doesn't know what a pre-97 XJ dash vent even looks like.

That's what I thought. Kind of disappointing, was hoping to be proven wrong.

Back