• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off-Road Trailers

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Lets see um! M416, M100, Bantam, Homebrew, what have you?

Here's a couple of pics of my civilian Bantam

This was up at Monache Meadows

Another action shot

Not to hijack but its close.

Has anyone ever seen an older small tent trailer converted into an off-road type?

I have been thinking about this for awhile now. Taking the box and adding a tough sub-frame underneith and then adding a good axle that would support 31-35 inch tires.

I have plans to purchase on of these next summer.
EV_large.jpg

http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/series.aspx?id=3&sn=Evolution

DrMoab said:

Has anyone ever seen an older small tent trailer converted into an off-road type?

I have been thinking about this for awhile now. Taking the box and adding a tough sub-frame underneith and then adding a good axle that would support 31-35 inch tires.
my cousins just got done converting one it's sitting on 35's and a full bar not to mention the thing is stickered with all the off-road sticker you can thiink of

rokclimbertx said:
i'd love to save up for one from www.adventuretrailers.com

if i ever lost or get rid of the XJ, then a tacoma with that trailer conversion would be the way i'd go...

That's a really cool trailer and I love the replacement bed idea for a pickup. I think an MJ with this as a replacement bed would be pretty darn sweet. :) I've got one long bed MJ trailer now and a short bed in the works to become a trailer. The rest of the short bed MJ will become a truggy with the rear half built into tube. I've just got to get some funds and get my butt moving on the project. :) Jeff

Theres a guy over at Expedition Portal who bought one of those Fleetwoods, and he loves it. It's a great alternative for those with a larger family.

Those adventure trailers are sweet, and Mario and Martyn continue to raise the bar in the industry. I also would like to see one on an MJ chassis, would be killer on a Brute as well.

Here is the one my friend just finished. This is looking pretty bland, he has 8 fishing rod holders on it and a trailer hitch on the top right behind the spare tire so he can put his other hitch carier in it for extra space. This is on 36' Irocks.

trailer_007.jpg

If you guys are ever on the Jeep Jamborie website, his Jeep might look familiar, the picture of his Jeep won the contest and is displayed on the home page. http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/

I would put a tonge jack on the rear with a big wheel barrow tire on it. That way if I got bound up on a trail or in a tight spot I could lower the wheel and roll or winch the trailer sidways without unhooking it. Id use the kind that swivle down to keep clearance high when not in use.

DrMoab said:

I bought a kwik kamp trailer that is designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle. I have not done any modifications to it yet but at one point the plan was to set it on top of the frame from my bantam trailer but I just put a new floor on the bantam and find it too useful so I'll have to make other plans. Perhaps I can find another one with a rotted out tub cheap.

kk_closed.jpg

kk_setup.jpg

kk_cargo.jpg

bantam hauling rock on the rubicon
rock_moving.jpg

DrMoab said:

I have a little pop-up. Stock it had a spring under set up and about 4.5” of clearance between ground and U bolts. I did a quick spring over conversion, put on slightly larger tires and gained another 4.25”. I’m not going to be dragging it down the Rubicon in its present state but I have drug it down some trails that needed 4 wheel drive and it’s held up fine.

I’ve been mulling around reinforcing the sub frame and putting on a wider axle so I could put on 33’s outboard of the body. Maybe someday. I don’t think it would be that hard to do, there’s really not much there.

Here are a before and after shot, and the website for the work done.
http://itsatj.com/gallery/v/MikezModifications/Aspen_Trailer/ (click on pic to enlarge)

_cid_284263203_19022006-1972.jpg

Gardner+Canyon+Camping+26+Mar+06-06.jpg

seymouj said:
I bought a kwik kamp trailer that is designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle. I have not done any modifications to it yet but at one point the plan was to set it on top of the frame from my bantam trailer but I just put a new floor on the bantam and find it too useful so I'll have to make other plans. Perhaps I can find another one with a rotted out tub cheap.

kk_closed.jpg

kk_setup.jpg

kk_cargo.jpg

bantam hauling rock on the rubicon
rock_moving.jpg

Awesome seeing the Bantam in action.

Is it a civilian or military model?

I would love to see more up-close pics.

What tires and wheels are you running?

w_howey said:
We looked really closely at those. They are realistically nothing more than a regular pop-up with a heavier axle, some BFG M/T's, and about a $5k higher price tag.

Yeah, but they look badass behind a modified XJ :D

We were looking to replace our 78 Coleman with one, but it didn't look right behind our 99 Exploder, which is the main camping vehicle. Plus, it seemed to me that if you didn't have an ATV or a bunch of heavy crap in the front flatbed, the tongue weight would be reeeeally light.

Here's a couple pics of the M416 I had several years ago...

1099175998037396418S600x600Q85.jpg

1151396316037396418S600x600Q85.jpg

Shoulda never sold it... great shape, tub had zero rust, parking brake worked. Great little trailer, if I get a chance to snag another one, I will.

TellicoReadyXJ said:
Yeah, but they look badass behind a modified XJ :D

We were looking to replace our 78 Coleman with one, but it didn't look right behind our 99 Exploder, which is the main camping vehicle. Plus, it seemed to me that if you didn't have an ATV or a bunch of heavy crap in the front flatbed, the tongue weight would be reeeeally light.

Take your 78, swap in a real axle. Put some lift springs on it. Some tires and wheels, slap some diamond plate on the corners, and you get the same thing and your better than $2k up in the situation.

Here's mine from a '88 MJ lwb that matches my '87 MJ.

P1010158.jpg

The truck was wrecked in the cab but the bed was unscathed, so we cut it in half and I fabbed a tongue for it.

P1010154.jpg

Back