• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeping in an XJ

Prepmech

NAXJA Member #981
Tied it once, put the rear seat down and threw some sleeping bags and pillows back there. Took a long time to finally fall asleep and woke up with a sore neck and back.

Anyone have any tips for staying comfortable?

How about heat, or staying cool? With gas prices the way they are, leaving it running overnight is no longer an option.

Prepmech said:
Anyone have any tips for staying comfortable?

How about heat, or staying cool? With gas prices the way they are, leaving it running overnight is no longer an option.

Whiskey, Lots and lots of whiskey.:D

the few times I slept in mine I just used a foam eggcrate mattress pad, and a cheap Walmart sleeping bag. I stayed reletivley comfortable and warm, but I had drank alot of whiskey.
-Ryan

Prepmech said:
With gas prices the way they are, leaving it running overnight is no longer an option.

You mean at one point it was? Besides the fact that you have nasty exhaust gasses building up around your rig...

I did this a few months back in my '96 4dr. Took the bottom of the rear seat out, pushed the front seats up as far as they would go, put a queen sized inflatable mattress in back. I managed to fit my 6'2" frame in diagonally. I think that if I were to put 2dr front seats in with the tumble forward lever that I could get enough room to lie straight. then you could sleep 2 with the center console separating your heads. It's a hard sleep, but it works.

I just sleep in the back seat and roll down the window @ my feet so I can put them outside. Works great and I don't have to tear down a tent in the morning.

My son just curls up in the pass seat with a pillow. He'd rather sleep there than in the tent.

But He's a teenager.
Kids.

last time i slept in the xj it was in the 20's outside and i woke up every 5 hours freezing, then just turned it on and baked the heat and then turned it off and went to sleep again.... it was nice to just wake up and drive it 20 yards to the campfire

shortxjdoug said:
last time i slept in the xj it was in the 20's outside and i woke up every 5 hours freezing, then just turned it on and baked the heat and then turned it off and went to sleep again.... it was nice to just wake up and drive it 20 yards to the campfire

Rock on, Ive done that a few times on the way to Ski races. Roll into a ski area parking lot @1am when its in the low teens outside. Always good times

i am only like 5'7 so i fit fine i just lay on a sleeping bag and a couple blankets and a pillow and for coolness roll down the windows and just be ghetto and tape screen over them so i dont get eatin alive and im all set for the night or if im drunk i just pass out in the back to prevent getting a dui lol

At 6' in order to comfortably sleep in the XJ's I have to remove the seat bottom and toss it on the roof (or in the front seats if rain is threatining me). Once I do that I can get pretty cozy (assuming, of course, nothing is back there with me).

i agree on pulling the rear seat bottom. it gives you just a bit more space. ive done this every year for the past 5 years when i go to glamis and its fine for me, and im 6'2.... although as stated above i do drink quite a bit when im out there :D

the last time i even tried sleeping in the jeep, was about 3 yrs ago. there were 3 of use on a search and rescue mission for a 75 yr old man. at about 3 am the boss decided to scale ops back till morning. instead of going all the way back to base camp. we stayed there with lights running incase the guy wondered out. needless to say there isn't enough room for 3 sar equipt people to sleep in 1 jeep. i think i still have aches and pains from that night.

by the way we ended up finding the guy in the morning from a helo.

I don't even try to sleep in the Jeep unless I'm alone.

One thing to think about is the carpet runners. If your Jeep is equipped with carpet runners (the polish aluminum strips in the carpet) you're going to want to pad well to keep those out of your back.

I'm thinking that I'm just gonna do the Jeep sleeping thing for Sierra Fest. Put all my gear in the trailer and crawl in the back.

I do it a lot and find it pretty comfortable, and I'm about 5'10".

NWFest2007II008.jpg

It helps if you can recline the Cherokee, too:

NWFest2007015.jpg

-----Matt-----

zachxj01 said:
u can def do the dirty back there hah

I have yet to find any takers on that(in the back of the jeep) yet. First girl I find that takes me up on that offer will be staying around a while.

GSequoia said:
By that logic I can sleep in the passenger seat of a 1984 Chevrolet Camaro. :shhh:

I hate you guys. I always get "lets go back to your place" they like my bed for some reason. Can't a guy with a jeep fetish just get it once in the jeep?

slept in mine during winterfest 07 , not the most comfy but still 5 star accomadations . ( since there were no hotel /motel rooms available because of the road rally )
tequilla and some carharts help when it gets down in the low 30's overnight.

Back