• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M100 trailer Phase I, complete.

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
Bought this trailer for $100 and towed it home. Spent the last 11 months here and there stripping it down, grinding rust off, repairing holes in floor and sides, primering and painting. The fenders that came with it were some hacked POS' so I made new ones in M416 style. It had never been assigned a VIN or licensed, so I had State Patrol inspect it as a 'home built'. It passed inspection on Wednesday and I picked up plates for it yesterday. Next steps are to pick up some matching wheels as my Jeep (same bolt pattern and backspace), put 33x12.50s on it, cut a tailgate, make a hard tonneau cover from an F150 tonneau, install can/tool/propane tank mounts, and color match it. As of right now it's rolling and road legal. :)

i-rjKZ4dK-L.jpg

Is the tub twisted or is that photo creating an optical illusion?

It's got a tweak to it and the tub has a couple of bulges here and there. It has had some use over time, for sure. Among the layers of paint I found remnants of guard units and even a coat of Navy-type paint. Must have been 6 layers...

Put a heavy rubber bed mat inside it, too. Sure was a nice touch. :)

Before you cut a gate see if you can find someone that will trade for a trailer that already has a gate cut into it.

They are great little trailers. My Bantam T3C regulary sees use doing trail maintenance and chores around the house.

Before you cut a gate see if you can find someone that will trade for a trailer that already has a gate cut into it.

Nah, it's got a big bulge in the back as it is. The plan is to cut it out and use a steel gate from a CJ. :) I already hacked part of the floor out and relocated spring hangers to later CJ length. ;) Purists should look away if they care. :D

Nah, it's got a big bulge in the back as it is. The plan is to cut it out and use a steel gate from a CJ. :) I already hacked part of the floor out and relocated spring hangers to later CJ length. ;) Purists should look away if they care. :D

I knew I kept that CJ-5 tailgate for a reason. Now I need to find the trailer...

Reinforce those corners. A lot of M100s and M416s have been killed by people putting tailgates in without much thought. See Cal's (well now James') M100 for details.

My 416 will never have a tailgate, real men know how to lift their junk over the side!

Reinforce those corners. A lot of M100s and M416s have been killed by people putting tailgates in without much thought. See Cal's (well now James') M100 for details.

My 416 will never have a tailgate, real men know how to lift their junk over the side!

Yeah it's getting reinforcement on the 'bumper' that extends out to the sides for 'step' style shelves. Think civilian model with reinforced corners. I also like how Ryan's has the bevels cut inward toward the bottom to help with that...

I always get a chuckle out of the people who get all bent out of shape (pun intended) about cutting holes in their old trailers. If I wanted a museum piece I sure as hell wouldn't be dragging it through the sticks behind my jeep.

Mine is going under a major renovation this winter. It's getting a 25 gal water tank between the frame rails, water pump, a heavy duty slide system that will go the length of the floor, a hard cover and two boxes on either side. They will sit between the tent and the top cover. The port side will be accessible through the tent annex for clothes and bedding. The starboard side will be a kitchen. Also going to throw a Hannibal awning on that side so we can cook in nasty weather.

I always get a chuckle out of the people who get all bent out of shape (pun intended) about cutting holes in their old trailers. If I wanted a museum piece I sure as hell wouldn't be dragging it through the sticks behind my jeep.

Mine's just a particularly clean trailer. Plus I use it as a cargo trailer, not an adventure trailer, so the lack of a tailgate isn't a big concern.

I'm more of the opinion that when I do build and adv. trailer I'll probably start with a clean slate and built it from the ground up rather than cut up an existing trailer, mostly because I think it'll be a fun pain in the ass, but also because I'd like to set it up in a modular style. That won't be any time soon though as right now my budget for fun doesn't exist.

v1.5 complete. :D

Al's Liner with Chrylser "PQP" base tint mixed in. Sure looks different when new. :)

i-rhNH2Hq-L.jpg

I'd like to see more of that '68 (or possibly '69) 4x4 Ford truck in the background.

Looks good. Is it still set up as spring under? What size tires on the trailer/

Still spring under, will have 33x12.50s on it very soon. I built the fenders large to work with 35s while still sprung under. I'm bolting on my spare 37 today to check backspace and tire width fitment.

Back