• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evans Creek Oktoberfest: 10/22 - 10/24 Picture thread

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
Put pictures here.

Last edited:
Put pictures here.
:dunno:

IMG_0019.jpg

Upper control arm mount break off?

Not sure where to even begin on this event.

Rod, Dave, and I met up just outside of Vancouver Friday morning to head up for the weekend. I think we rolled out about 11:15, and we were rolling into the campground by about 2:30. Not a bad drive up at all.

Much to our surprise the campground was empty, not a person or rig to be found. We scoped out some area and decided to make camp under the covered area with the fire pit underneath (good choice!).

Later in the day Joe and Angela rolled in as well as Kalin and Carlos. Once nightfall set in we decided to suck it up and venture away from the fire for a quick night run up 311. The night run really went off without any problems luckily, and we made good time up the lower section. The trails were a bit wet, but traction really wasn't and issue. I think a few of us crawled the left rock face on Brakeline Hill without even spinning a tire. After running the lower and upper 311 back to the fire we went.

Saturday morning rolled around and we were wondering just how many people would be showing up, if any at all. While we kind of wanted to wheel, we also were quite content around the fire (did I mention it was like 38 degrees outside?). That's when we heard the distinct sound of the 4.0L engine. Except it wasn't just one, there were eight!

We had a group of 13 I believe, and Tim had a great route planned for us. We rolled out shortly after 10:00 and the first stop was the 196 Rockface.

Tim headed up first. The pictures a bit blurry but it shows him fully getting it. Traction was not on our side.
IMG_0002.jpg

Joe being Joe, chose a high left line and kind of crab walked along the face. I like Tim's WTF look.
IMG_0005.jpg

Kevin had a tough time with an open front. Most made it up after a try or two, a few had to be pulled up.
IMG_0007.jpg

After everyone got up the rock face we continued on up the 196. Jeremy (?) was having some front end issues, so he ditched his rig at the bottom and grabbed a seat with his buddy Scott. We regrouped at the top and sent a few of the open front rigs around while the rest of us started the 197.

We had a pretty good pace going. I heard several "man I was so close to busting out that window," or "well that's a new dent." It was tight, technical, and a whole lotta fun.

Then "that guy" decided to show up for the party.
IMG_0019.jpg

Joe's UCA mount ripped itself off his axle truss. With it only being a Y-link he was pretty much SOL. Luckily Scott had a portable Ready Welder, and Tim was able to get it semi back together.
IMG_0023.jpg

Big thanks goes out to Scott and his dad for volunteering there batteries and welder.
IMG_0021.jpg

With our fingers crossed we buttoned everything back up, and contnued on up the trail. No more than two minutes later I hear "well... the mount broke again." We weren't liking "that guy" very much at this point. :D
IMG_0027.jpg

The group was pretty strung out over the trail at this point so a few of us stuck around to help with repairs. Agian, big thanks goes out to Scott and Jeremy for helping to get Joe mobile again.

We got everything buttoned up, and once again crossed out fingers it would hold. This time Joe got a little further than last time, but once again "that guy" wasn't done. While trying to bump around a tree root, the front drive line tossed out the u-joint caps at the axle end. At this point I think I suggested we just start parting it out. :D
IMG_0030.jpg

Joe had a spare 1310 so he tossed two new caps on, and continued on. We joined up with the rest of the group who meanwhile were waiting up top (thanks for waiting guys!). Thankfully there were no more issues otherwise the NWC may be without a Treasurer right now.

Joe and Kalin split off to head back to camp down the 520, while the rest of us ran the 198. By this time it just felt good to be moving, and more importantly having the heater blasting. We had a good pace going for the large group we had, and we cruised all the way to the main road in no time.

From there we set off for the 519 rock face. We ran the 199(?) up to the 519, stopped at the play area for a bit. Then it was onto the rock face.

Tim once again was first to have a go at it.
IMG_0037.jpg

I honestly thought we would all crawl it since it really hadn't rained at all during the day. I was wrong. There was traction on the rocks, but once you turned dirt it was gone. Tim tried a few lines, tried to flop it a few times, but in the end he put on a good show and made it up.

Dave giving it a go, but having an All Ready Broken front locker forced him to get pulled up.
IMG_0041.jpg

If there were a trophy for this obstacle I think it would have to go to Kevin. I think we all thought he didn't have a chance (open front), but he clawed his way up the left side.
IMG_0043.jpg

Can't say I was too surprised Rod hit the tree. :laugh3:
IMG_0044.jpg

For the most part we all had to work to make it up it. It was definitely a challenge. Scott was the last to give it a go, and unfortunately blew a passenger side 297. I don't know if he has a nascar pit crew back ground but he pulled the inner shaft in what seemed like 10 minutes or less.

After we all regrouped at the top, we headed back to the campground to call it a day.
IMG_0048.jpg

Even though we didn't get to hit all the trails we wanted to, it was still an awesome day of wheeling. Big thanks goes out to Tim for leading all day and keeping tabs on the group. Let us know when the Tilted Wheelers want to come hit TSF for a weekend, and we'll return the favor. :thumbup:

I also have some videos to upload, and some more random pictures to post later.

Last edited:
I had an absolute blast guys. thank you northern folks for showing us around and making us feel welcome.

here are some of my pictures. Videos will prob be up tomorow sometime...

017.jpg

019.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

001.jpg

keeping warm... Cheers !
031.jpg

032.jpg

Dave digging for some fire starter...
035.jpg

Voila !
036.jpg

and Carlos was the sober one...
027.jpg

sucks i couldnt make it up with you guys. would have been much better than what i had to do... lol glad to see you had a good time! definitely need to meet up to wheel with some of you guys

Great pics guys. I like the shot with Kevin standing on the side of the trail with his crutch. Not the best place for a cripple, but he said screw the broken hip I'm going wheeling. I am glad everyone enjoyed themselves. I had a blast and even though we didn't hit all the trails we wanted to I think we did a pretty good job showing off the best that Evans has to offer. Just for clarification on the route we took, from the end of the 198 we did not take the 199. We drove right past it and went to the bottom of the 519. I have some pictures and videos I will post up later today. I will definitely have to rally the Tilted Wheelin troops one of these days and take you guys up on that offer to show us around down there at TSF.

Damage report for me.

-broken uca mount -fixed on trail
-ujoint lost caps -trail fixed will replace this week
-yoke ubolts -will replace with joint
-toasted uca bushing- burned during welding new one on order
-front passenger shock. - bent will order replacement today.

Damage report for me.

-broken uca mount -fixed on trail
-ujoint lost caps -trail fixed will replace this week
-yoke ubolts -will replace with joint
-toasted uca bushing- burned during welding new one on order
-front passenger shock. - bent will order replacement today.

Look on the bright side, at least everything had a fresh coat of blue paint on it for the pictures.

:looser:

Look on the bright side, at least everything had a fresh coat of blue paint on it for the pictures.

this was a stress test so I can fix everything before thanksgiving. Found out my rear leaves are very flexy.

lol Thats what I was looking at. The track bar setup looks good!

This was a great TRIP !

As always, the people make it great. Big thanks to the Tilted Wheelers :), You guys rock, it was great that you all showed up and ran the trails with us. Tim, Kevin, Bill, Andy, Scott and I am sure there are a couple more I am forgetting. Kaylen (SP?) and Carlos.. it was great BS'in with you around the fire.

I have a lot of pictures I will post up later.

Back