• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overland Journal on "Dangerous Drives"

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
This was posted by Scott elsewhere, thought others might like a headsup. I look fwd to catching the episode.

For Immediate Release:
January 2, 2010

Prime-time Television Episode Features Overland Journal

Overland Journal was selected by Pangolin Pictures and the SPEED Channel for their prime-time television series Dangerous Drives, which will be broadcast to 78 million households worldwide.

Overland Journal will be featured in episode 12, which was produced in December 2009, and documents the testing procedures Overland Journal staff use to evaluate vehicles and equipment. “Overland Journal has a reputation of conducting the most exhaustive and abusive equipment testing in the industry, which piqued SPEED Channel’s interest in following along on one of our trips” says Scott Brady. For the testing, Overland Journal’s Publisher, Scott Brady and Senior Photographer, Sinuhe Xavier traveled through 500 miles of Utah backcountry testing American Expedition Vehicle’s (AEV) Brute and new Hemi powered Jeep Unlimited in the worst snow condition recorded in 40 years. The route ascended to over 8,000 feet, where the team encountered 40 inches of snow at the summit, requiring winching and progress at times measured in feet per hour.

In addition to testing the AEV trucks, Scott and his team were evaluating tents from Nemo Equipment, clothing from Arcteryx, Exofficio and Mountain Khaki, Lightforce lighting, BFGoodrich tires, ARB suspension components and rack/awning combination, and recovery equipment from Viking Offroad and Warn. Scott’s vehicle was the popular Overland JK, built by the Jeep Skunkworks team with components from AEV, ARB, Adventure Trailers, Equipt Expedition Outfitters and Mobil1.

This SPEED Channel episode and the recent coverage of Overland Journal in Forbes Magazine demonstrate the rapid growth of consumer interest in overland adventure travel.

About Overland Journal:
Overland Journal is dedicated to vehicle-supported expedition travel and exploration in North America and around the world. Perfect bound, and featuring over 130 pages of expedition vehicles, travel stories, equipment reviews, and conservation news, Overland Journal sets new standards in adventure travel journalism. Our international editorial staff collects the most captivating images and informative stories ever seen in a vehicle-centered publication.

Designed for readers who want in-depth information rather than sound bites, Overland Journal is content rich, with 10-plus page feature adventures and no story breaks. Skills and technical features offer a level of detail designed to produce competent and self-confident backcountry travelers.

www.overlandjournal.com | 928.777.8567 | service (at) overlandjournal.com​

SPEED_Channel_Overland_Journal_%20(1).jpg

SPEED_Channel_Overland_Journal_%20(2).jpg

SPEED_Channel_Overland_Journal_%20(4).jpg
[/QUOTE]

SPEED_Channel_Overland_Journal_%20(2).jpg

Every year I go to the international car show in San Francisco. Every year while walking out the door tell the wife, if Jeep has a Galdiator there I am buying it. She responds with What's a Galdiator? to which I answer look in the driveway when I get back.

Alas, I want the blue one on the left!

Thanks for the heads up, I have forwarded this link to the adventurers I used to work with.

Last edited:
The blue one on the left is the Brute, not the gladiator.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Yea - but isn't the expensive part of a Brute buying the JK to start with? The kit isn't that much, right?

As John said, its based on the TJ. It was around before the JK came out.

Not expensive? Its $9,000 for just the kit...

In addition to testing the AEV trucks, Scott and his team were evaluating tents from Nemo Equipment, clothing from Arcteryx, Exofficio and Mountain Khaki, Lightforce lighting, BFGoodrich tires, ARB suspension components and rack/awning combination, and recovery equipment from Viking Offroad and Warn. Scott’s vehicle was the popular Overland JK, built by the Jeep Skunkworks team with components from AEV, ARB, Adventure Trailers, Equipt Expedition Outfitters and Mobil1.

What a sweet job!

I'll be on the lookout for this show!

Although, for having all that equipment and clothing to test, this guy doesn't appear too bright, or maybe he's just getting the shaft...you DO NOT wear jeans in cold and snowy conditions!!! Especially when ascending to over 8,000 feet in "the worst snow condition recorded in 40 years." :twak:

can someone invite me over to watch this since I dont hAVE cable. Dr.Moab cough cough

Although, for having all that equipment and clothing to test, this guy doesn't appear too bright, or maybe he's just getting the shaft...you DO NOT wear jeans in cold and snowy conditions!!! Especially when ascending to over 8,000 feet in "the worst snow condition recorded in 40 years." :twak:

uh...they are in the desert. It may be cold for the desert but it aint that cold. He is dressed as anyone else would dress for that paticular area.

Back