• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longest/Farthest Off Road Adventure?

Ryan, the expoexchange report was a southern traverse, side to side. I'd like to add to it and make it border to border.

My idea for 2010 is a Corner to opposite Corner trip accross UT - NW to SE (or NE to SW) wich could possibly cross much of the Swell. :exclamati

Fall in Utah... sounds awesome. I'll have to see if i can swing this..

So you guys are thinking the Wasatch Range, San Rafael, and some SE stuff? That'd be alot of ground to cover in 9 days... or did i read it wrong?

Ryan, Alex, have either of you two been to Zion?

Ryan, the expoexchange report was a southern traverse, side to side. I'd like to add to it and make it border to border.

My idea for 2010 is a Corner to opposite Corner trip accross UT - NW to SE (or NE to SW) wich could possibly cross much of the Swell. :exclamati

So...for 2010. I say we start planning our own trip. I like the idea of doing NW to SE mainly because I know the West Desert and know that without killing yourself you could cover a huge amount of area in shorter time. Some of the roads out there are easily 50 MPH roads, as you remember when we did the Pony Express route.

2010 is a long way away Ryan, long enough that i could commit!

You guys that have the time out there, what season would be best.. spring or fall? I dont do well with heat... i melt easily.

2010 is a long way away Ryan, long enough that i could commit!

You guys that have the time out there, what season would be best.. spring or fall? I dont do well with heat... i melt easily.

Fall gives the most options with high mountain passes being long clear of remaining winter snow and far less runoff at any potential river crossings when compared to spring.

But you miss the spring wildflower show!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

All winter long I dream of the appearance of those ephemeral treasures.

Reading through this has made me want to set my Jeep up for expedition. I think a good mix of road manners and off road capability are what i am going for. Looking through the list of stuff i want i realize this is gonna take a while! It will at least be lifted before summer RE 3.5 with monotubes w/31 inch Treadwright MT-G's as my starting point. Keep posting up pics from these trips I am loving them!:cheers:

But you miss the spring wildflower show!

An excellent arguement, not only that but the grass hasn't turned brown yet, everthing is green and fresh. Second week of May this year was incredible for flowers in the desert, I don't know if I notice them more because of learning how to identify them or if this spring really had a better flower turn out.

Last edited:
An excellent arguement, not only that but the grass hasn't turned brown yet, everthing is green and fresh. Second week of May this year was incredible for flowers in the desert, I don't know if I notice them more because of learning how to identify them or if this spring really had a better flower turn out.

I have a lot of time to sit while I am loading and unloading my truck at work. The last couple of days I had several different statewide maps with me. I think this could be done in the spring without having to worry about too many mountain passes.

Jared...are you going to the Christmas party next saturday? We should look some maps over if you are going to be there.

The spring pics look phenominal as well, i would have no issues with that time frame.

Forget where i saw it, probably EXPO. Someone took a trip through Canyon De Chelly in spring, and the pics were incredible with all the colors. I was not used to seeing such color in pics from out that way.

EDIT: OK, after some searching i see it was Alex's trip and it was actually over Labor Day. I need to move west..

Last edited:
Jared...are you going to the Christmas party next saturday? We should look some maps over if you are going to be there.

I'm planning on it.

Early summer or late summer, 2009. The inspiration is here:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22606

We should set a point in the middle of the state...say the San Rafel swell. I will work on mapping out a route north of there and you can work on the South.

Next payday I am putting my first "traverse Utah" coins in the jar.

Sept or Oct would probably be a good time to attempt something like this. It would be cooler in the desert yet you wouldn't have to worry about snow drifts higher up.

OK, I'm inspired.

That looks like a great trip. Let me know if I can help out with the planning.

So, is this something we really wanna organize? I had been hoping to make it out there in 09 but it's not looking good. 2010 would be better and if we have a gathering planned it would be easier for me to commit.

I had hoped to meet you guys when i get out that way anyway, lets do this thing. :wave:

Back