• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guidelines for "Expedition Vehicle" builds.

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a few basic guidelines for build-ups.
What things would you recommend for an expedition vehicle?
I'll start with a few items I'd say are indispensable:
-Selectable lockers
-Winch
-OBA

Efficient storage
Upgraded suspension to handle expedition loads
Effective communications

Creature comforts are a must if you plan on taking any long trips:
Air conditioning
Comfortable seats
GPS would be nice

Anything to keep you out of trouble or get you out of it are a plus:
Skid plates
Recovery equipment
First aid kit

Attractive co-pilot

Toilet paper

OBC - on board coffee.

Dirk Pitt said:
OBC - on board coffee.
I'm building a Land Rover so I think the OBEM (on board espresso machine) is a factory option that I can get retrofitted. :cool:
Dirk Pitt said:
Attractive co-pilot
The Rover helps with this one too. ;)

DrMoab said:
In that case...

Stock in Mobil

A personal mechanic to follow(preferably not driving a land rover also...you want him to get home too)

AAA towing insurance.
No worries, it's a pre-Y2K model.

rokclimbertx said:
i'm going to suggest maybe the most important thing one would want in an expedition vehicle...

a destination...
I guess if you have the $ to build a new vehicle for each trip that'd be a consideration.
My destination this year will, hopefully, not be the same as next year.
That's why they're called expeditions.
A good expedition vehicle is a do-it-all type of vehicle. That's what makes it so much harder to design than a crawler or trail rig.
It has to go down the highway smoothly, run Moab without issues, and then continue on an unsupported trip through Copper Canyon in Mexico.
Oh yea, and get you home afterward.

kid4lyf said:
I guess if you have the $ to build a new vehicle for each trip that'd be a consideration.
My destination this year will, hopefully, not be the same as next year.
That's why they're called expeditions.
A good expedition vehicle is a do-it-all type of vehicle. That's what makes it so much harder to design than a crawler or trail rig.
It has to go down the highway smoothly, run Moab without issues, and then continue on an unsupported trip through Copper Canyon in Mexico.
Oh yea, and get you home afterward.

Making it comfortable is good, too :)

IntrepidXJ said:
Making it comfortable is good, too :)
Randy, been waitin for you here, bro.
On your recent trip, what are some things that worked well?
Are there any things that you would change? add? leave behind?

kid4lyf said:
Randy, been waitin for you here, bro.
On your recent trip, what are some things that worked well?
Are there any things that you would change? add? leave behind?

My biggest problem on this trip was storage and organization. It doesn't help that my roof bag ended up not being very waterproof, and managed to get ripped halfway thru the trip, so most everything on my roof ended up inside my Jeep. I'll have to come up with a better system for next trip. I probably could have got away without bringing my spare axle shafts, driveshaft and steering components......but I think it was a case where I would rather be safe than sorry....especially since I was traveling solo this trip.

My CO2 tank came in handy when I bent my wheel and was able to save it to use as my spare tire. So OBA is a good idea like you suggested above.

Selectable lockers are nice if you can afford them (and can justify the additional cost), but I'm perfectly happy driving a rig with automatic lockers, even on the road. I have a No-Slip in the rear which is actually very invisible, and an Aussie in the front. I do recommend the Tera 2Lo if you run a front automatic locker, though. I know I used mine quite a bit on the trip.

This was my first trip using a GPS as well, and it definitely came in handy for me. I am using the Magellan Crossover GPS which not only does Topographic maps, but also handles turn-by-turn street driving directions. It was nice to be able to get to a town and get directions to a nice restaurant, or to the nearest gas station.....and then when I'm done I could just switch it back to topo mode and get back out on the trail.

Working AC was also nice in the hot desert ;)

If I think of anything else (I'm sure I will), I'll post it up, but these are a few of the thoughts that just popped up in my head.

:)

Ive done some 'mini' expedition trips nothing longer than 4 days but usually alone and some place Im not familiar with. I loved having a trailer for my gear and non-essentials. It made it really simple to pack the stuff I needed and still had a light rig so I could get through 90% of what i needed to with out even thinking about if i was gona drag belly. it was also nice that once I got some where I wanted to camp at I could drop the trailer and still do some exploring without all the concerns of the trailer. Ive since done a few mini's with my xj and yj and wish I still had the trailer.

To me an expedition truck and a daily driver that gets wheeled have a lot of things in common.

I'll add some things/ideas:

- don't over build!
- keep it super reliable
- make the driver work load as low as possible
. * "tough guy" or not after 18 hours straight driving a truck that is a handful you will be wiped - if you make it that long (don't ask how I know this).
. * this also implies building "properly".
- easy to find parts for wear items are a bonus
- keep the vehicle height at rockers and roof line as low as possible (within reason of course).
- fit the largest tire possible on the lowest amount of suspension
- keep tire sizes within reason for power levels of your engine/gears so that mpg is not too terribly affected
. * difference of 4000 miles at 13 mpg vs 4000 miles at 17 mpg is huge
. * get used to planning trips with ~60 mi/h being your top speed vs 75 mi/h - fuel economy drops fast over 55 mi/h.
. * where possible keep vehicle "clean" (both dirt or crap like unused racks hanging off it)
. * less aero drag helps mpg
- stockish engine (bolt ons like header, CAI/snorkel, etc. is ok)
- beef electrical power (dual batteries minimum)
. * ability to run power from main vehicle to your accessories in the tent/trailer overnight without draining starter battery
- on-board shower a big plus
- rig up ways to have tarps/canopies draped over/from vehicle for repairs, rainy day cooking, getting out of the sun, etc.
. * also pre-rig clothesline for drying clothes
- entertainment for kids.
- I was always down on the LR guys and their "limb lifter" wires but now that I've seen them in action - worth having out here provided they can be quickly rigged when leaving the pavement.
- well stocked medical kit
- training to use a well stocked medical kit
- BE PREPARED!

For my build(s) I've stuck to ~33" tires, selectable lockers, ~5" of lift. Everything else fits around that. I don't think I'd want to go much larger than a 35" tire on a XJ for an expedition rig.

IntrepidXJ said:
It doesn't help that my roof bag ended up not being very waterproof, and managed to get ripped halfway thru the trip, so most everything on my roof ended up inside my Jeep. I'll have to come up with a better system for next trip.

I've been thinking about getting some of the water proof bags that the canoers and kayakers use. They should be waterproof enough. The ones they sell at MEC are really heavy rubber/plastic and would be hard to puncture short of a sharpened stick being intentionally driven into it.

JAT

Was thinking about this during the drive home. :)

The other thing(s) that I would say should be done when building an expedition vehicle is clean up the underside from catching on stuff. Factory skids suck for this - replace with something smoother/stronger/better.

XJ specific: add stiffeners to the rails, steering box area, etc., etc. Our Jeeps are wet noodles and need all the help they can get to keep unibody fatigue at bay.

Back