• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opel gt runs but dies when coming to a stop

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
this is non jeep so iim sorry
but i am trying to figure out it this problem is carb related or not before i order a carb rebuild kit for this thing
its a 1971 opel gt with an aftermarket weber carb with an electric choke
it runs and idles kinda rough, but stays running
we can drive it, but everytime we come to a stop it dies. itll start right up and run again after that and die at the next stop sign.
we repalaced fuel line and filter, cleaned most of the ignition systems electrical connections.
i was thinking of a few things that could be the problem, do you guys have any ideas?
bad alternator?
bad electric choke?
jets or needles in carb need cleaning
bad electrical connection somewhere?
fuel pump?
so any info you guys have for a car that runs and dies like this?

so far im going to replace some vacuum lines that are kinked and order a carb rebuild kit for it from the guys my buddy bought the carb from.

Have you set the idle mixture correctly?

is it only when the rpm's drop at a stop or will it die if you stomp the brakes?

can you keep it running at a stop by feathering the throttle?

what motor is in it the orig? or somthing different? Sounds like a A/F mixture problem.
On a side note you want to buy mine? :D

Do you have power brakes? Could be the vacuum booster has a leak and leaning out the mixture, but normally this would cause the idle to raise up.

OPEL GT! Whohooo!!! They are great. My dad had 3 Opels when I was a kid. That was waay back in the day! Sounds like your float is sticking a bit. Might be a good idea to get a rebuild kit for the carb and give it a once over.

i plan on rebuilding the carb and replacing a kinked vacuum line or two. found the positve battery cable had worn a giant gash in it via the steering column. taped it up and zip tied it in place. didnt fix the problem but that was a problem. i plan on rebuilding the carb, cleaning out/or replacing the jets and needles and replace the float and all the seals. its an aftermarket weber carb from that opel site in sonora. they sell the rebuild kits for cheap. the choke is electric, could that guy go out?

i adjusted the idle and played with it a bit. even if i put the idle pretty high it still does it, but coming from a stop it revs high so i dropped the idle back down, the only carbs ive rebuilt are from old 80's honda 3 wheelers but im assuming the idea is the same, seals, jets, float, needles, maybe a stuff needle is my guess and some clogged jets and maybe some linkage here or there that needs to be lubed.

sherman does yours run?

I remember dad converting all his electric chokes to manual. don't know what the issue was.

i adjusted the idle and played with it a bit. even if i put the idle pretty high it still does it, but coming from a stop it revs high so i dropped the idle back down,

Is this happening relative to applying the brakes? If it races up after releasing the brakes, my bet is on the brake booster (if it has one).

you know what, i think it is only when applying the brakes ? and i think it did rev up afterward . so replace the booster or just replace vacuum lines that go to it?

you know what, i think it is only when applying the brakes ? and i think it did rev up afterward . so replace the booster or just replace vacuum lines that go to it?

Unplug and cap the vacuum line going to the booster, test drive it in a low traffic area as you will not have power brakes, and see what it does then. If its a automatic, then you may have to stand on the brakes to get it to stop so be careful.

Back