• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling noise at low RPM

rockethound

NAXJA Forum User
When I turn the A/C on in my jeep I hear a rattling noise underneath the engine. I can also hear it when the A/C is off, but only when i tap the gas a little. It seems that increase engine labor causes the rattle/clacking to get worse. I haven't pinpointed the orgin but it sounds somewhere around the Engine tranny union.

Any ideas?

Are you sure its not the cat. converter? That can cause quite a racket.

So will a cat!!! :laugh2:

Professor Bobo said:
Are you sure its not the cat. converter? That can cause quite a racket.

Hey guy, I had a cat (kitty type) on my motor once. Started my motor and yuck. Threw off my belts. Drove it to a coin-op car wash! eeeeeeewwww!

How about the muffler bracket (next to the gas tank) mine does that, just tighten it up and eventually it will come loose again.

Check the flex plate,flywheel bolts.The flex plate can crack or the bolts that attach it to the torque converter can come loose.Put a little loc-tite on the bolts when you tighten them.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Check the flex plate,flywheel bolts.The flex plate can crack or the bolts that attach it to the torque converter can come loose.Put a little loc-tite on the bolts when you tighten them.
Wayne

Does the problem that you mention here also cause the belt to wobble?

rockethound said:
Check your water pump... I saw one go once internally (a bearing gave out) and the little propellers were making a weird rattle as they were eating the housing away.

rockethound said:
When I turn the A/C on in my jeep I hear a rattling noise underneath the engine. I can also hear it when the A/C is off, but only when i tap the gas a little. It seems that increase engine labor causes the rattle/clacking to get worse. I haven't pinpointed the orgin but it sounds somewhere around the Engine tranny union.

Any ideas?
There is NO belt at the "Engine tranny union" .The inside of the catalitic converter can come loose and rattle you will notice a noise at start up that may then go away .
Wayne

rockethound said:

Nope the bolts he was talking about was where the engine meets the tranny(AW4 Automatic). There are 4(3?) bolts that hold a thin shield onto the tranny. Those bolts can sometimes come loose and rattle. I would let the tranny cool off, pull the 4(3?) bolts off and remove the shield. Then check the torc converter bolts(if that's what is befind there?) and check the four bolts holding that on. It sounds like I had the same rattle you do, and that fixed it for me. The four bolts inside were not tight.

JohnJohn said:
Nope the bolts he was talking about was where the engine meets the tranny(AW4 Automatic). There are 4(3?) bolts that hold a thin shield onto the tranny. Those bolts can sometimes come loose and rattle. I would let the tranny cool off, pull the 4(3?) bolts off and remove the shield. Then check the torc converter bolts(if that's what is befind there?) and check the four bolts holding that on. It sounds like I had the same rattle you do, and that fixed it for me. The four bolts inside were not tight.

Did the rattle get worse when you starteded the a/c? And did it subside when it warmed up?

Back