• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling Noise

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever I'm stopped, but in drive, a vibration/rattling seems to come from the gear selector area of my 95 XJ Sport. But when I put the Jeep in Neutral, the vibration/rattling goes away. I've found that the vibration is stronger around the transfer case selector. Does anybody have any ideas as to what this could be?? Thanks!

Matt

Rattling

You may want to check the cross member and the exaust. Both have been known to cause an annoying rattle at certain low rpms.

sounds like a bad heat shield on your cat coverter, they are known to rattle.

If you crawl under you XJ and find the exhaust pipe sitting on the cross member then you are in need of a transmission mount. It hard to tell if a mount is good or not by examining it. Most of us do not know what a new vs used mount looks like.

I check for a loose heat shield but think it a a bad mount, if so you should replace the 2 engine mounts at the same time. The engine mounts and trans mount are the only support the engine & transmisison assy. If one is bad then the other 2 are close behince.

You will get options on what to use, evaluate for yourself and choose. I purchased mine at the dealer since I do go for 7-10 hour drives in my XJ. I do not want to be beat up by engine vibrations.

Back