• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HCV Leaked Now Heater Core

vabeachtennis

NAXJA Forum User
On Saturday I noticed my HCV leaking again (I replaced it a few months ago) , now today I smelled coolant in the cab and coolant was leaking onto the passenger side floor board. After a while it stopped leaking.

If I turn the heat off on the blend door, will that stop the coolant from flowing through the heater core and leaking into the passenger cabin? I check the coolant level in my overflow tank and it hasn't changed that much.

I need to go to work tomorrow morning and I want to make sure I will be good to go until I can get it bypassed in a few days.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The heater control valve stops the flow, but it's not going to relieve pressure on the heater core. Failing within a month is pretty quick, even for CRAP (chinese replacement auto part). Check that your hose clamps are tight. It could just be running down the hose and in through the firewall, and not a leaking heater core. X2 on just eliminating that valve.

On Saturday I noticed my HCV leaking again (I replaced it a few months ago) , now today I smelled coolant in the cab and coolant was leaking onto the passenger side floor board. After a while it stopped leaking.

If I turn the heat off on the blend door, will that stop the coolant from flowing through the heater core and leaking into the passenger cabin? I check the coolant level in my overflow tank and it hasn't changed that much.

I need to go to work tomorrow morning and I want to make sure I will be good to go until I can get it bypassed in a few days.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I just went out and checked the radiator level and it was full. The same was for the bottle. I let it idle for 10 minutes and no leaking. I also saw that it leaked a little on the driver's side as well but it was very very little amount. Like drips.

The heater control valve stops the flow, but it's not going to relieve pressure on the heater core. Failing within a month is pretty quick, even for CRAP (chinese replacement auto part). Check that your hose clamps are tight. It could just be running down the hose and in through the firewall, and not a leaking heater core. X2 on just eliminating that valve.

Thank you for your reply. I looked at my posting history and I replaced one on 2019 and it failed again in November 2021 and it now failed a few months later. I got it from Autozone.

I check the hose clamps and ran a paper towel down the bottom of the hoses and it came back dry.

If I turn the heater off will it stop the flow to the heater core? I have the HCV set up though it did leak the other day when I was 28 degrees out and then miraculously "healed" itself after a half hour ride. It's weird that it stopped leaking after the ride and now the heater core starts leaking and then stopped after a while.
Like stated before, if you look at the radiator fluid level and the overflow fluid level they are at their normal levels.

Back