NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 17th, 2004, 20:06
NAXJA Forum User

Question Water Injection for Carbon Cleaning

I had a thought the other day... After cleaning out the carbon and junk buildup on my 88 XJ. I used to know an old Chrysler mechanic that told me the most effective way to clean out carbon buildup was to use small amounts of water down the throttle body while the engine was running. The water "steam cleaned" the engine from the inside and broke up the carbon.

Several years ago, I remember companys sold water injection kits. I wonder if water injection might help to keep the carbon monster in check.

Anyone out there ever heard of this process? If so are those injection kits even still available?

Last edited by SPSERG; August 17th, 2004 at 20:18.
Old August 17th, 2004, 20:13
Dunlop Slayer

Re: Water Injection for Carbon Cleaning

GM's Top Engine Cleaner does have water in it and I'm pretty sure Mopar Combustion Camber Cleaner contains water also. I've used both and they do work quite well so it doesn't seem too far fetched.

--Matt

07 X OR | 96 XJ | 86 CJ7 | 85 CTM A30 MOD | 04 F800 | 87 SR800
Boulders - Boats - Bikes
Old August 17th, 2004, 20:35
NAXJA Forum User

I have yet to try it but it goes something like this..

Have a buddy keep a steady 2000RPM and you use a garden hose with a very fine mist going into the TB, for about 5-7 mins. shut down the engine and let the steam go to work. Then after sitting for a while start'er up. You should get a nice plume of smoke out the exaust....
Old August 17th, 2004, 20:53
Dunlop Slayer

It may be a better idea to get a spray bottle and use that as you'll have the ablity of a much finer mist, and more control... if you want to try that method.

--Matt

07 X OR | 96 XJ | 86 CJ7 | 85 CTM A30 MOD | 04 F800 | 87 SR800
Boulders - Boats - Bikes
Old August 17th, 2004, 20:59
NAXJA Forum User

Just something to keep in mind, a liquid doesnīt compress. A few tablespoons full of water, is enough, on the compression stroke, to cause a mechanical blockage. Works just a bout the same as throwing a piece of metal in there.
I still have a valve, that looks like an inside out Mushroom, sitting on my work bench, as a reminder, to keep the intake above water.
Old August 17th, 2004, 23:15
NAXJA Member #1161

Water injection does a good job of cleaning all of the carbon out of your motor. Most of the kits for sale are fairly expensive. I am going to be building a water injection system for my other car sometime soon hopefully So i can run more boost w/o any ping.

Fenton Beech
Macedonia,OH/Blairsville,PA
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 Volvo 765 Ti.
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:04
NAXJA Forum User

just be careful with that.. newer vehicles run stainless valves (dunno bout the XJ) which are real sensitive to temp changes, hot valve + cool water = valve that looks like a pretzel! older engines with carbon steel valves are a bit more tolerant..

BUBBA