NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 18th, 2006, 08:44
NAXJA Member #1244

battery wiring upgrade

Ok, I have read the searches, but still have one question. I understand that the general set-up is 4ga wire alt to battery, battery to chassis and block to chassis. My question is... on my current set up the wire on my altenator runs from the altenator to a small silver box that sits right behind the battery. It has several plugs on it, plus another wire or two. Then it goes to the battery. What is that small box, and do I run the 4ga thru that box, like it is wired now?
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:02
NAXJA Forum User

Re: battery wiring upgrade

Thats the starter relay, you can connect it there or directly to the POS terminal on the battery.
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:05
NAXJA Forum User

What year? There were a few electrical changes...

It sounds like that's your start relay, which would make your XJ in the 1987-1990 range (RENIX.) That screwpost on the start relay is the main distribution point - the alternator lead goes into it, there's a battery lead, and the rest of the smaller wires are fuzible links going to feed various circuits. The alternator output is also going through a fuzible link, just for an FYI.

If you'd like to check out a kit price, you might want to look at my website - I offer kits with and without the alternator output lead (due to the fuzible link concern,) and with and without an alternator case ground for RENIX (which could cure a "floating output" issue and helps high-output alternators.) I also handle cables individually, and will cut to custom lengths in case you're re-doing your power distribution. Link is in my sig.

5-90
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:57
NAXJA Forum User

those are some nice looking electrical upgrades 5-90, I think I'll be making a purchase from you soon!
Old April 18th, 2006, 20:13
NAXJA Member #1244

that is a nice set, decent price as well. I will get back with you in a few days. One question tho...

Set of 6 Cables (87-90A-01 through 87-90A-06)

90a-01 90a-06. what does the a-01 and a-06 stand for?
Old April 18th, 2006, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

The ??? denotes a cable that I haven't gotten the measurements for yet.

I list the component part numbers of the kit after the kit itself, so you can check the contents if you like. I offer two versions of each kit - with and without the alternator output lead. The OEM circuit usually features some protection device (a fuzible link for RENIX, and a couple MAXI fuzes for HO), and I give you the option to replace it or not - I have to leave the choice entirely up to you. I am working on "kit options" for replacing the fuze/protection device, using an ANL fuze.

I've also gotten some updated measurements - and I need to update the chart on the site, which I plan to do this week. If you have any specific questions, please direct them to me backchannel at JeepI6Power AT yahoo DOT com - I've got confirmed 1991 and 1995 measurements on deck...

5-90
Old April 18th, 2006, 20:28
NAXJA Forum User

X2... I need a 6 cable set for a 1991 XJ, but I see a ton of ??? in the spaces for some of the cables- can you quote a price? I'm looking to buy SOON!