• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft Ujoints- $500????

Mngreen

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. I have a 92 XJ with the NP231 xfer case. I need to replace my front u-joints. I was having some work done (in a time pinch, or it would have been DIY, of course) at a local service shop. I mentioned the u joints, and he call s me back and says that there is no way he can do it. Says that with that type of drive shaft (the old double cardan) he would have to have his driveshaft repair partner do it. I said price it, since you already have it there. He calls back and says "somewhere between $480 and $520! I said don't touch it.

What's the deal? I was always under the assumption I could do it, given the time. Is there a write up out there? I plan to just pull it and drive it in rear wheel drive until I figure it out. I am thinking more like $60 for the ujoints (3 total) and some sweat and tears. How hard is it?
\

Thanks, both for the replies that are coming and for letting me vent a little. Lance

very easy, i've done it twice. if you need the other piece of it it will run more. there is a another spicer part in the middle of it all that lets it swivel. even if you have to replace that it is easy. dont shell out the money and do it yourself

langer1 said:
It's Spicer anyone will have it. Try Napa first.
That's funny--it shouldn't be, but it is. Even with the Dana Corp. in Toledo, you'd be surprised how many auto parts store guys have never even heard of Dana/Spicer (NAPA excluded, though).

Back