• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel Drive

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
OK, got a question that hopefully someone here can answer.

I have to drive my XJ about 75 miles without a rear driveshaft. I got a 92 with the NP242. I know it has to be in part time 4wd, but what I need to know is: Am I going to lose oil out of the rear output of the TC? If so, is there anything I can do to stop that?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Yes you need to use Part Time 4x4, and yes you will lose some fluid unless you cork it up somehow

Snap-On sells a plug just for this, but for once-in-awhile use, you can take a 20 oz soda bottle with approx same diameter as the tailcone, cut around the circumference (as if making a funnel...) secure the bottom of the bottle to the cone with a hoseclamp. Voila!!! :) It may not seal 100%, but will be worlds better than doing nothing.

Note: If the bottle is too small to fit over the cone, slit it some vertically, then it fits over...(slit UP) wrap with duct tape, then hoseclamp it. Beer cans work in this method as well.

You can also just use a plastic bag duck taped to the end also. A few layers to be safe. don't leave to much of it loose make it tight to the non moving parts as possible.

To be safe stop a couple times to check level of oil on the drive. A little time spent checking could save some big money.

mark

Back