• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Swap

svshaw82

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, new to your forums I came here from jeepforum.com.

I had a simple question hoping for a quick answer. I read the sticky for the AW4. I know it is interchangeable to a degree.

I have a 1989 XJ that I have pulled the drive train out for reasons. AW4 faulty, and engine could use rebuilding.

After some time I came across a really good deal, a 94 XJ with 4.0 HO and AW4 and 231 TC. for $200

Now I know I can swap the HO to my Renix system, can the AW4 as well? The reason I ask is because I know the 94 has OBD1 right? Can I get away with the swap if I swap the TCUs as well? I don't know if the wiring harness is the same.

Just need to know if it can work... its a rolled jeep so its gonna take some effort to to get it, no wheels.

Thanks in advance guys!

Here's how to do the engine:

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap

This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.

The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.

Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1999 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.

You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.

The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16” square drive or a modified 3/8” drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.

As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 03/28/13

I know the engine was gonna be easy swap... I wasn't sure about the Trans. Was just making sure I could use it in place of my 89 without any electrical problems.

Late model AW4 has 23-spline output, you have matching t-case, so no problem there. IIRC, you can swap in the mechanical apparatus into the T-case for the speedo. OR if you can get all the wiring/harness you could probably combine the 2.

Yeah, no need to swap TCUs for what you're doing, a 97 (yes, 97) and down AW4 will fit with at most some minor splicing to put your harness connectors onto it. They are electrically equivalent, and as noted, the only significant differences are a slightly different OD gear ratio and a 23 spline output shaft. Since you have an NP231 from a 91-95 to go with the 23 spline AW4 (95 and down 231s have your same tailhousing style) you can simply swap that as well. If you needed to use a 96 or up NP231, it would also work with the donor transmission, but would require swapping the rear driveshaft as well, which would only fit if the two jeeps have the same rearend.

So yes, you are all set. You may need to do very minor wiring (as in, splice the 3 wires for the solenoids and the 2 wires for the OSS to the connector from your old transmission.) If you don't and it plugs right into your harness, please let me know and I'll update the FAQ thread.

So ive got an 87 xj AW4 , with a NP231 ,Renix 4.0 I6. Ive spent the last 2 1/2 years restoring this Jeep. long story but a drunk girl in a wrangler killed it a few weeks ago,totaled front end. So i found a 92 2WD with motor HO.

My plan is to pull front axel , top pinion D30, drive shafts, T-case and trans.

Question that i'm having trouble finding an answer to is will the AW4 bolt into the 92 and work? I've read countless threads and blogs with no deffinate answers. Some say yes, others no have to modify solinoid wiring , others say that the 87 bell housing will not bolt up??

So i am left more confused now than when i started. I thought that i would ask someone who knows about this, you seem to have some knowledge on this subject
I appreciate any help.

So ive got an 87 xj AW4 , with a NP231 ,Renix 4.0 I6. ... Question that i'm having trouble finding an answer to is will the AW4 bolt into the 92 and work? I've read countless threads and blogs with no deffinate answers. Some say yes, others no have to modify solinoid wiring , others say that the 87 bell housing will not bolt up??

Start Kastein's awesome faq at http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

The bellhousing and t/c will bolt right up to the 4.0. As kastein already mentioned, you might have to splice the wiring connectors. I think you'll find the wire colors are nearly identical, for example the strip on the wire is the same color but the wire color is black versus white.

I have a 96 sport, auto. Also a 90 laredo auto. The 90 has a switch on the dash for, " power\comfort" setting. The 96 doesn't have this switch. Are they the same tranny? If not which is better, and are they interchangeable if necessary.

I have a 96 sport, auto. Also a 90 laredo auto. The 90 has a switch on the dash for, " power\comfort" setting. The 96 doesn't have this switch. Are they the same tranny? If not which is better, and are they interchangeable if necessary.

96 has a 23 spline output shaft. 90 has a 21 spline.

After 91, Jeep just incorporated the Power mode for the AW4.

Back