• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure sending unit issues

cij805

NAXJA Forum User
1993 XJ, 4.0 HO, Auto Trans

My oil pressure gauge is pinned all the way to the right, so I assumed the Sending Unit was bad. When I search for the Oil Pressure Sending Unit in any part catalog, it comes up with a multi-pin connector. I assume this is because I have a gauge, but when I look under the hood, it is a single wire terminal (the kind for the light), so I bought the single wire unit that was from 1991 and installed it and the gauge is still pinned all the way to the right. Any ideas why it’s wired for the older style and what could be causing the misread?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could use a multimeter to check resistance from the wire.
its more common for the gauge to fail than the pressure sensor.

It's far more common for the sensor to fail than the gauge. If the gauge is pegged even after replacing the sensor, then you likely have a broken connection to the sensor. If you ground that wire, you should see the gauge drop to zero. I have seen a few people changing the connector either way to use the older or newer sensor style.

Back