• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS ohm issue, renix 1990 i6 automatic.

90XJ_Seth

NAXJA Forum User
So I've refreshed the grounds and rechecked. Yes, I'll check again when I dive back in but it's 100 degrees so I'm taking a break.
Here's the issue :
TPS is reading 4 ohms, yes 4!!!
Checked it twice because it's absurdly high.
I can't get the tps in check because I need the ohms to be under 1 for the reading to even matter. On top of that (I think this is major cause of ohm error) the output reading will never go above 0.34V even if input is over 4.7V.
Get a new TPS!
Did that and both read identically.
So now I'm throwing parts at it again but need some advice. Specifically on how to get the ohms right, extra missed grounding points, and the power voltage issue.

Recent happenings:
I recently had a power window failure because it rubbed a wire raw and was cutting battery power to the car when I tried to roll up/down. I fixed it with an online splice and etape.
I improved the TPS grounds through soldering not splicing but still couldn't get under 1.4os back then. Now it's over 4 for some strange reason.

Two other things of note:
1- my right side stereo speaker occasionally stops playing, could be related to the same grounding issue.
2-i recently installed a posi-lok cable actuated cad removal which has a portion of electrical. Those ground points seem fine and clean.

Also, make sure your volt, amp, ohm meter has a fresh battery. a weak battery will cause erroneous readings. If in doubt, replace with new meter battery, and see if the readings change. Been burned by a weak battery in a meter before, lots of wasted time trying to fix a false problem.

Thanks for the responses. Still no change on the TPS output levels but the ohms are under 2.4 now. Had a weird issue with a window wire as well. My jeep is a hot mess right now.

Super frustrated with the lack of quality TPS out there. I've bought several now and only occasionally do they have right voltages outputting.

Just a test but change your meter to volts and check the TPS ground to battery negative. See if your standing voltage is high.

Make sure you're getting the TPS tang in the correct position/side of the linkage on the throttle body.

I put it under the throttle linkage as in about the 2 o'clock position so that it presses down on the TPS when the throttle is depressed.

I will check the ground voltage tonight but I am down to 1.3 ohms on the TPS as I reset every fuse and relay and cleaned each one. Next to the grounding points themselves.

I also have bought three TPS sensors and all of them are providing a .31-.33 output voltage which I can't figure out. I wonder if I have somehow moved the butterfly linkage on the throttle body and have caused this error myself.

Beating the dead horse. TPS ground is back up over 2 ohms after a lot of work on the monster.

Replaced the exhaust manifold, gasket, rear main seal, oil pan gasket and did a lot of general cleanup by rubbing the oil and grime off with my arms as I reached around the nastiness. Now the TPS OHM has returned to over 2.

I have jiggled every engine bay wire and still cannot get the ground to fluctuate so it has to be somewhere I haven't found or can't reach.

I want to get this located and repaired before I install the NOS MOPAR TPS I found on eBay or the new NGK O2 sensor as the rich mix has once again beaten the O2 sensor dead (yes I know to check with an analog meter not digital) No fluctuations..

???Questions???
1) Can I isolate the ground for the TPS and run it direct to a bolt on the block, a bolt on the valve cover, or route it to the firewall instead of whatever it currently runs to?

2) Is it possible that the grounding issue is coming from the tangle of wires under the dash?

3) Would this grounding issue potentially be resolved by unplugging and re-plugging the ECU?

4) Could the fuel pump grounding be a cause of this as I have not done the refresh on that yet?

5) I have tried to get all of tips 1-6 (some twice) done to the best of my abilities before posting this from Cruiser54, I do not have a C101.

0.5 OHMS, that's why!!! ran an isolated line to a shiny clean valve cover bolt and finally at the right OHMS. All the TPS I have are crap. I hope the NOS one just ordered does the trick.

Now on to why my exhaust smells like crap. Thinking my newish CAT is blown. Last year I was pumping rich so much I was clogging it and getting black smoke...

Smells super rich and is really strong, when I turn off the engine smells like strong burnt fuel. I thinks its the O2 sensor again. I keep burning these things out. But I think it blew out the cat because there was a time where it actually started causing my jeep to stall out and send black smoke out from right under the passenger side where the CAT is..

Smells super rich and is really strong, when I turn off the engine smells like strong burnt fuel. I thinks its the O2 sensor again. I keep burning these things out. But I think it blew out the cat because there was a time where it actually started causing my jeep to stall out and send black smoke out from right under the passenger side where the CAT is..

A bad cat won't cause it to smell rich. Mine with NO cats don't smell rich.

Keep in mind the MAP sensor uses the same ground as the TPS. MAP is the most influential sensor that affects richness. How's the tube MAP to throttle body? How's it's ground?

I have a fix for the MAP hose.

Back