• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Jeep xj (Pegasus) Build

megamanmojo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey :NAXJA: though it was about time to throw up a build

So here we go

I got a 1996 jeep xj sport with the upcountry package that me and by brother bought back in July for $250 but we sat on it for a while because the guy we bought it from lost the title. But we got that all sorted out and here it is.

IMG_0223_zpsba9e9034.jpg
[/URL]

so for the lift i'm going with a 4.5 inch with 33 tires ether Rough country or Rubicon express and 4.10 or 4.56 gears with a Dana 30 in the front and a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear

also i will need to do some floor pan and rocker panel replacement. that should be fun

so this is going to be a slow build because of the fact that i'm still school and working so bear with me

Thanks John

My vote goes to Rubicon Express, I had a Rough Country kit in my old ZJ and I hated it, everything I've hade from RE has been good so far. Auto or manual? Either way go 4.56's now, you won't regret it down the road.

Where in Boston are you?

thanks for the advice i am leaning to the RE side any ways because of the things i heard form friends and the forums about Rough Country lifts . and sadly she is a auto

I was happy with my 3in RC lift. but any bigger than that and Id go RE. and for 33s 456 would be a good option. plus when you start making poor life choices and go to 35s you will be happier.

Hay NAXJA sorry for not keep up with this build due to the fact that nothing has really been going on because i'm still waiting on my tax returns. So any way hears a little update on what we have done so far. yesterday me and bother and Colin994 did a differential service and also put in new rear shocks because the other ones were toast. but in the process of drilling out the shock bolt we found this

and here's a pic of my nonexistent rockers

IMG_0358_zps2d720f9f.jpg
[/URL]

and the shock

so in all i will have to do some extensive rust repair and get that all sorted out so it its save to take on the trail. Also i think im going to be buying this welder soon http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html . But here's my question wound 120v be enough to weld in the floor pan and the frame stiffeners and also be able to do some parts fabrication. or should i go with a 220v welder

I don't know about that particular welder, but I use a 110V Lincoln Mig. I've built some pretty stout tire carriers and bumpers with it. You just have to go slow and let the puddle form and keep up with your movement. Don't let the wire feed too fast on the thick stuff and you should be set.

thanks for advice, but i think i'm going to go with the eastwood because of the price and also it has gotten a lot of good reviews. also garage doesn't have a 220v outlet at the moment. but for now i will use that one and than upgrade when i get better. o and also i will be talking a welding class for school soon so that will help a lot with this build

Last edited:
holy hell that's a lot of rust

ya i know i cant be that mad i bought her for 250 $ but my plan is to gut the hole interior and take out the engine and get rid of all the rust weld in new floor pan, rocker replacement and the HD frame stiffeners from off road engineering and then coat the underside with bedliner. i probably should just scrap it and try and find a better one but i think i will learn a lot more if i do it this way.

so i have been thinking a lot of what i want to do with this jeep and i have come to the conclusion that this jeep has no place on or off road and i wound be better off junking it or parting it out. So i have decided to hold off on build her up and spend my time try to find a better xj an drive this one until i can find a replacement. i really hate to do this because i really like this jeep it being my first car and all but that rust is stating to scare me and the fact that when i go over a speed bum i can hear my body creek. again i really hate to see another XJ go off to the junkyard but i think its the right thing do at this point. But don't worry i will be back soon

Thanks John

Last edited:
I don't know yet but I think I will be parting it out because the engine and axels are still good. But what I also might do is find a xj body and throw all the stuff form this jeep in there Or just buy a better one. so if anyone has a xj body for sale let me know

the waltham one offered like 350 for mine a little while back... just fyi you could definitely part the 3.73 axles and engine etc for more and still scrap the body etc

Back