NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Red River Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Red River Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old April 16th, 2009, 19:32
NAXJA Forum User

opinions needed

so I traded my 95 yj that needed nothing but upgrades for a 98 xj since my wife kept telling me that I needed a family car to haul my son around in and the yj wasnt safe enough or had a/c.

well since day one I have had issues with it, thankfully the dealer is taking care of all of it but the inconvience is starting to tick me off now.

day I picked it up all the gauges stopped working, fixed the wiring behind the dash and they started working again. picked it back up and the oil pressure wouldnt hold steady so they changed the oil and it held higher but not where is should be. Drove it home from the dealer, it keeps trying to die on me and the next morning it does die on me leaving for work but does start back up. Take it back and they replace the IACV and it is better but not good. Take it back the next day and they replace the TPS still not perfect. I leave and drive it for a day drain the gas and refill it just to make sure it wasnt old gas in there. Starts running better but still not great and here comes the oil pressure gauge bottoming out and not holding pressure at all so I take it back for what seems like the 100th time and they replace the oil pump and driving it back home the pressure still wont hold. Now before I take it back again what else could it possibly be?

Wont hold oil pressure driving it will stay good but as soon as I let off the gas it drops way down.
runs rich
idles ok but seems like it has a miss
Appears CEL light has been pulled, ran the scanner and it pulled the O2 sensor bank 2 which will make it run rich but no point to replace it the cat is gone. also pulled the TPS code again but never cleared after the new one was put in. Last code was the fuel sending unit.

I talked to the owner of the dealer and he said something along the lines that if the oil pump didnt fix the problem we would look into putting me into another vehicle

should I keep what seems to be a headache or get into something else

98 xj
auto
5" lift
and some other goodies
Old April 16th, 2009, 19:36
NAXJA Forum User

Re: opinions needed

get out of it. not a good start. find a closer to stock version, upgrade it yourself. UNLESS you know the history a lifted ride is sorta spooky
Old April 16th, 2009, 19:49
NAXJA Forum User

well it was a tv staions old xj figured I was safe being as they usually take pretty good care of their stuff only other xj they had up there the other day was a 01 with 78k 4.0 auto 6.5" rough country lift and 33's that I have been driving since mine has been at the shop but not sure I would want to buy it it seems to run strong and all but chances are it was wheeled fairly hard and I have been dogging it to see if it will hold up if I do end up getting it.

only positive I can say is the dealer is being good about the whole deal
Old April 16th, 2009, 20:00
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

whos the dealer?
Old April 16th, 2009, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

I35 sports and Imports in Moore Oklahoma
Old April 16th, 2009, 20:47
NAXJA Forum User

id get out of it if you could

that red jeep your driving looks like a nice jeep, and it sounds like the dealer wouldnt screw you over on it if something did come up

btw, how does that other jeep drive (ive driven by it at couple times wondering)
Old April 16th, 2009, 20:53
NAXJA Forum User

its ok the steering is a little sloppy for my taste but could be easily fixed. no sway bars at all on it so it wouldnt be the best daily driver but alot better than the one I had with 10" of lift and 36's with room for 40's
Old April 16th, 2009, 20:54
NAXJA Forum User

and in all honesty I really cant complain at all about what they are doing for me. They have tried to make it right and it just seems like it has a curse or something. even with all of this I would still recommend them and I do think we will get it resolved tomorrow
Old April 16th, 2009, 21:26
NAXJA Forum User

Well I to would drop the 98 XJ... sounds rough. But on the other hand if the XJ you are driving, in the mean time, seems to be in better shape then I would go with that one. The anti sway bars are easy to come by and replace. Just take the time and look over everything... and I mean EVERYTHING to make sure its in good working order.
Old April 16th, 2009, 21:36
NAXJA Forum User

keep in mind the 01 has a low pinion d30 up front and the 98 had the high pinion d30 but if its a daily driver does that really matter to you? im not from texas but what kind of tv station drives lifted jeeps for company vehicles?
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:26
NAXJA Forum User

non pussy stations that are in Texas and not California
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:00
NAXJA Forum User

amen brother!
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxXJ View Post
im not from texas but what kind of tv station drives lifted jeeps for company vehicles?
It's Texas....think red neck!
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:29
NAXJA Forum User

dont mess with texas....wheel keel you JP
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:33
NAXJA Forum User

We have stories that don't involve freeways and in Kali you can get anywhere via a freeway but here you may have to travel 20 miles over open country. So a real station which strives to bring you the real grassroots news has to have something that will get the crew there besides a helicopter.