• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broke AW4 shift shaft....how 2 replace

95XJ Country

NAXJA Forum User
I broke the threads off the end of the shift shaft in the transmission (AW4). How the heck do I replace that. Is it as simple as remove and replace or does the tranny have to be torn down. If it is a complicated repair I guess I could just tac weld the bracket back on to the shaft?!? The tranny is on the ground waiting to be installed. I am waiting to fix the shaft and my broken ribs to heal before I replace the trans.

Thanks

Eric

95XJ Country said:
I broke the threads off the end of the shift shaft in the transmission (AW4). How the heck do I replace that. Is it as simple as remove and replace or does the tranny have to be torn down. If it is a complicated repair I guess I could just tac weld the bracket back on to the shaft?!? The tranny is on the ground waiting to be installed. I am waiting to fix the shaft and my broken ribs to heal before I replace the trans.

Thanks

Eric
Got pictures? If I am think about the right thing then trans will need to be torn down because the nut holds the NSS on.

95XJ Country said:

Thanks

Eric

You're talking about the drivers-side end of the shift shaft? The shaft can be replaced without pulling the tranny. The FSM has the procedure for replacing the shift shaft seal which involves pull the shaft out. You need to pull the pan and filter, then remove the valve body. From there you unhook the park rod and a roll pin, then the shaft can be slid out the side of the tranny. Kind of involved, but at least you don't need to drop the tranny (pm me if you want more details than this). Personally, I'd tack weld the shift lever on. Just be quick so you don't burn the oil seal, cause a leak and have to pull the rod anyway to change the seal.

thanks... the trans is sitting on a pallet in the garage. I pulled it from a junk yard and when I tried to remove the nut for the cable bracket the threads snapped off. I think it is just going to be easier to weld it on.

95XJ Country said:
thanks... the trans is sitting on a pallet in the garage. I pulled it from a junk yard and when I tried to remove the nut for the cable bracket the threads snapped off. I think it is just going to be easier to weld it on.
How would adjust the NSS then?

95XJ Country said:
How about a picture?

FUGGG>>>>>> I won't be able to adjust the NSS? The threads are broken on the drivers side. So will that matter? Sorry for the dumb questions but I have just converted my religion from Chevy to Jeep after 20 plus years of the old 350/400 turbo trannys these AW4's are all new to me!!! I am used to building 1/4 mile cars not 4x4's.... I'll get the hang of it though.

XJ95_AW4.jpg
Is it in this picture?

Last edited:
thats it, right at the bracket the threads cracked. I can just hit it with two quick tacks from the stick then quench it with a wet rag and it should be fine.

thanks for replying with the pics

Back