• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chicago

indulf

NAXJA Forum User
went to chicago this weekend, my first time ever.

i must say, it really brings out the LAMENESS of atlanta. ive been a lot of places, and chicago is the nicest city ive been to. lots of fun.

saturday the wife and i spent all day with my best friend and his wife. we are all college friends. they have an apartment (northwestern married student dorm) right on lake shore drive, so we were like 2-3 blocks from all the good stuff. what a neat city. good food, great shopping, good music, and friendly people. i did get some funny looks with my not-too-noticeable southern accent..

sunday was my wife's great uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. i met lots of her family who live all over and hardly ever get together, that was great. the great uncle served in the navy during WWII in the pacific. what a guy.

anyway, if you get a chance, go visit chicago.

Abbott Hall?

I wouldn't call Chicago one of the nicest cities. You spent time up on the North side, the South side is a little different. Ya get Beezils out of that.

How many times did you get panhandled for _Streetwise_?

ChiXJeff

I would like to go back to Chicago now that im older (i went when i was 10). The ONLY thing I remember are the crazy taxi drivers and that huge museum/aquarium..... Atlanta is just like most big cities in my opinion. A great place to visist for a day or two, but I would never want to live there.

nice compliment.

chicago is a world class city, and for its size and population, clean and beautiful.

Its got great european flair, and I like the fact that besides work, which i rarely hafta sit in traffic (inner city commute) everything is withine walking distance.

hey Jeff, if chicago is such a nasty place, how come i see so many goddamn suburb people on the proper? huh?

answer that one.

bomb the burbs

hey, next time you are in chicago, let me know, I can mayb get you set up with some inside stuff....

like, I'll betcha you don't know ANYONE how has been taken on a tour UNDERNEATH the buckingham fountain to see the inner structure and pipe work.....really cool. Never wait in line for the shedd aquarium ever again.......seriously. next time, lemme know

usil6674.jpeg

I spent a couple of weeks training in Chicago. I liked it too. I was expecting a city like New York. I was very pleasantly surprised that it was nothing like New York. I was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I look forward to visiting again someday.

RR3

Beezil said:
hey Jeff, if chicago is such a nasty place, how come i see so many goddamn suburb people on the proper? huh?

:D Hold still a moment, let me tweak that nose a little more......

No debating that the North side above ground is pretty nice. I've been down under heading for Union Station way late at night, and probably where I shouldn't have been several years ago. Fortunately, people don't pick fights with me for some reason.

Beez, what time to you head for work?

If I have to head downtown for something, I almost always take Metra in, I just hate driving in the city.

ChiXJeff

Jeff, Lake shore drive is a nine-to-fivers artery. if you get on before 7-7:30 am yer golden.

I'm usually on the drive around 6:30.

going home is usually no problem, unless I'm at the shop late, or there's a cubs game. If all you suburb losers could take public transportation, there'd be no such thing as "cubs traffic".

bomb the burbs.

Beautiful City.... just Don't drive a roll-back with a car in-tow and park it at one of those big hotels little parking lots. Long story...but ended up stayin the night for free, partying at a few of the clubs and and the next day I went walking around the city all while waiting for 4 tires to get plugged! Never trust a stranger to help you get a big truck into a small parking lot HAHA.

GSequoia said:
Hmm..."secret Chicago tours" sounds like a blast, you know there's intersting stuff there! (and I'm not just talking Mafia related :D)

Sequoia.... remember the stories of those giant rats as told by the FireFly guitarist?? :D I guess the tours avoid those :D

Born in Cook County Hospital, lived on the North Side(even lived in the 'burbs - Wood Dale) for 18 years..joined the Navy, toured the world and settled on the West Coast.
I'm glad my Pop still lives there..cause when I visit, I realize it is the greatest city in the world. World class, big time, got the ups and downs of modern life - but still holds the midwestern charm.

I would love to live in the city but it's just to compacted, need my space. I like having half acre in the burbs. Chicago is a very clean inner city compared to la,ny,denver,etc.

Indy

Not trying to take anything away from Chicago (I've never been there but I plan to go soon), but Indianapolis shares many of the same traits as Chicago. Very clean for such a large city (although not nearly as big as Chi-town), lots to do, easy to navigate, everything within walking distance. I think maybe the best thing about it is the fact that it isn't one of those cities where everyone wants to go like LA, Chicago, NY, because there aren't a ton of people flocking to come here. Some people don't like it, but after living here for 3 years I can't think of much bad about it. People who have been here a time or two for a couple days probably can't appreciate all the great things Indy has to offer.

Sorry to branch off topic just sharing my experience.

You did not just say that... please tell me you did not compare the asshat of civilazation and culture to Chicago. In chicago we have theater, music, culture and anything you could want. Great food (on a stick even!) and entertainment.

Indionapolis has goat roping, country music and zero ethnic food.

I hope this is a joke because it is completely insane. If you have ever left that cesspool you would see whatyou are missing.

Only in chicago can you eat a good gyro, great Indian food, fresh sushi, a fantasic pizza, a giant borrito, killer chilli and good bar-b-que all within walkign distance from one another!

I was born near Chicago, was raised there for 10 years,then Detroit for several. I have been back multiple times since to visit family or just vacation. It IS a great town. Atlanta is to. Thats why i still live here. atlanta is a small town compared to Chicago. you could set it in chicago and not find it for hours. Thats one reason i like Atlanta. Its a small town that is growing up quickly. we have a lot to do here, we're a lot closer to rock crawling. we're closer to mountains. we're closer to salt water fishing. and our trucks don't rust down here. i like both towns but choose Atlanta.

lol@at compare'n indy to chicago. i have lived in chicago and the chicagoland area my entire life and couldnt imagine living anywhere else. for the few downfalls chicago has it has a 100 great things to see and do.

beezil your turning into a cranky old man;) when are you gonna come by sheffields for a drink?

cheers,

jj

Back