• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 MJ 2.5 EGR Trouble

NHXJer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All:

The EGR tube is leaking on my MJ, right where the EGR tube connects to the header. I can reach up and feel and hear the leak, but see no way to get a wrench or socket up in there to take out the bolts and replace the gasket.

Looking at it, I think I might be able to reach it if I totally remove the driver's side motor mount and bracket, but this seems like an awful lot of work - anyone out there have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

FWIW,
When I had to replace my intake/exhaust gasket on my '87 2.5L last year, there was no gasket there, although you'd suspect there should have been one. I considered fashioning one, but figured it wasn't leaking to begin with so I left well enough alone.
Maybe try removing the airbox assembly to free up some working room. There should be 2 bolts (10mm, 7/16" or so, I think) that attach the tube to the header there that may just have worked themselves loose. Try loosening the flare nut fitting on the other end to give the pipe some play and tighten down the two bots, then retigten the fitting to see if that solves your problem.
Hope that helps,
Jeff

Back