NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Tools and Garages
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Tools and Garages This is a place to share about the tools and workspaces used to craft your latest masterpiece.

Old February 18th, 2012, 20:55
NAXJA Member

Re: common tools for the trail??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZ95Xj View Post
i dont see why peaple take the 36mm socket for the axle nut, just have a hub already installed on the shaft then you will just need a 1/2 or 13mm 12pt socket
I run the RCV's so i'll never blow a shaft but I have ripped a ring gear apart so when that happens I have to remove the RCV's, install/torque stubbies and plug the axle tubes in order to get home(plus pull the front DS)

Yes my Heep is heavy but i have used about every tool or spare part on that list on the trail or in camp on my rig or others.

If I didn't carry something with me, that would be the one thing i need!
Old February 18th, 2012, 21:23
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZ95Xj View Post
i dont see why peaple take the 36mm socket for the axle nut, just have a hub already installed on the shaft then you will just need a 1/2 or 13mm 12pt socket
I generally take mine because I just sling the whole toolbag into the jeep, easier to not forget anything. Hell, I even bring my external torx

I'm glad I did, I ended up blowing a radiator hose due to a stuck thermostat at Fall Crawl and it would have been a real pain in the ass to change the thermostat out if I hadn't had my gasket scraper with me. Who the hell brings a gasket scraper with them while wheeling? I didn't, at least not intentionally.

... and I carry spare rad hoses, hose clamps, and a thermostat and gasket now too.
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:58
NAXJA Forum User

Air
Welder, with a grip of rods
Full set wrenches/sockets
Scanner
Hammer
Grinder
Any specialty tools (hub socket, fuel line discos ect.)
Bailing wire
Duct tape
Spare critical sensors
Spare tranny/steering fluid
Spare steering joints
Spare Ujoints for drive shafts
Everything else can wait until you get home.
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:34
NAXJA Forum User

i carry a husky mechanic tool tray with a bunch of sockets. a cooler chest filled with a hammer, rubber mallet, pipe wrench, shop towels, bleeder kit, screw drivers and others things. i then have crates with straps, ratchet straps, oil, napa filter, power steering fluid, coolant, ATF and gear oil. last thing i have is a good ole' hi-lift jack. i also have a tent in there in case things dont turn out too well or we find a nice spot to stop at.
Old September 9th, 2018, 01:36
NAXJA Member

I'm glad I found this post. This is good info for the "Moab newbie" such as myself.
Old April 15th, 2020, 04:50
NAXJA Forum User

which are 6 pt and 12 pt. sockets ? Thanks.
Old September 26th, 2020, 03:59
NAXJA Member

Most of my sockets and combination spanners are 6 pt. The 13mm 12pt being one that I will stash a spare of in the glove box or in the centre console as they always seem to go missing from my tool bag.

I have been using Metrinch tools since the early 1980's. They work on both metric and inch sizes (In the UK it's metric and imperial). In some sizes, one Metrinch socket can replace four conventional sockets. Which is great for reducing weight and storage bulk.

I am on my third set now, having lost the previous two sets in cars that were stolen from me. https://metrinch.tv/collections/metr...nch-socket-set

As much as I love my Metrinch tools, they are not ideal for every situation. I still need wrenches for sizes smaller than 10mm. Just yesterday I purchased a 6pt 8mm full hex brake spanner that saved me a lot of grief after my 12pt 5/16" ring rounded a bolt on my transfer case front yoke.

Last edited by Vince; September 26th, 2020 at 04:14.
Old February 27th, 2021, 02:01
NAXJA Forum User

thx for sharing
i also use cardboard and works great