• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RATTLE WHEN IN NEUTRAL OR PARK

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
On a 2001 cherokee automatic,What rattles near the 4wd shift lever?,If you put pressure on the 4wd lever it goes away.

bcmaxx said:
On a 2001 cherokee automatic,What rattles near the 4wd shift lever?,If you put pressure on the 4wd lever it goes away.
Funny, my 99 does the same thing only in gear, when the rpms are lower. If I put pressure on the handle, it goes away. I wondered the same thing it just never bothered me enough to post up, but I will be interested to see what people say. I suppose it could indeed be linkage.

It is indeed the linkage....... I have never seen a Cherokee that doesnt make the noise under some condition...... It is kinda a crappy design......

Could also be the trans mount. My linkage was/is fine but the noise at idle was driving my wife nuts (not that I don't already) so I crawled under the heep and checked and my trans mount is broken. I want to replace it with a polyurethane mount but have not found one for a '90 AW4 yet.

Yup, just mada a linkage adjustment,noise gone. Found out its a good idea to test the 4wd linkage and operation on the ground rather than up a hoist. Things tend to stay spinning and make neat grinding noises :doh:

There is also a TSB for bushing repalcement in the shifter. At least on my '97. If you want it I think I still have it around. I performed the TSB and the noise went away. Very easy to do.

Back