• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer Drive Gear

Jip

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

It's been a while since I lurked through NAXJA. I finally got back into a project XJ. Its a '98 Classic 2WD. Its got some issues that I'm working on.

One issue is with the non-working speedometer and odometer. I tested the cluster, checked the VSS, and speedo gear attached to the VSS. After removing the VSS and speedo gear, I looked inside the opening to the transmission. I expected to see a broken speedometer drive gear within the transmission tailshaft, however ....the drive gear is nowhere to be found (I didn't even find any broken bits of plastic).

So, how difficult is it to replace this gear? I assume I have to pull the tailshaft. Also, where can I find this part?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

$30 and 5 minutes of your time. Any place like Quadratec, Morris4x4, ebay, Amazon sells them.

Technically that doesn't even apply to a 4WD as the gear is part of the tailshaft!
569af84f-a014-4250-af0c-cb6fb85b6102_zpswan5ohde.jpg

At least he got a response now. My 99' XJ has the same 231 transfer case as all of my 13 TJs. I guess I need to learn about all of the XJ options before posting here. I'm a 12 year JF member. Thanks.

XJ's and TJ's are the same. And you've never done a SYE! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sorry, for the late reply. Thank you for the answers, although I'm still at a loss of how to replace the actual "internal" drive gear once I remove the 2WD tailshaft. I've found the drive gear online at a couple places. I'm looking for a 2WD AW4 drawing/schematic that actually has the transmission parts and how to replace them.

Does anyone have an FSM for this? Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm probably going to pull the tailshaft off to see how this particular gear is held in place.

For future reference, the part is:

Mopar 83503704

To replace it, I need to remove the tailshaft housing, remove a ring/c-clip and whats left of the old gear should slide off.

Back