• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas mileage?

turdles

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock(at the moment) XJ. After I put the 5.5 Rub Exp lifts and the 33" BFG Mud tires on it will my gas mileage be really bad?

Also if i upgrade my gears to 4:56 with it improve my gas mileage?

if you're concerned with gas mileage, don't lift your Jeep. there are trade-offs to doing anything and paying more for fill-ups for lifted rigs is one of them.

dennisuello said:
if you're concerned with gas mileage, don't lift your Jeep. there are trade-offs to doing anything and paying more for fill-ups for lifted rigs is one of them.

What he said.
I'm running 33s and 4.56 gears with about 5.5"s of lift and got a corrected(my speedo reads about 6% high) 20 MPG the other day.

I can still get over 20mpg with mine when I have my 33s on: 4.88 gears, '88 4.0 w/ 200k miles, AW4 auto tranny, 33x12.50s, driving 65mph.

I found that I get about 21mpg driving 60-65 and about 16 driving 75. slowing down helps a lot, as does not accelerating real hard at every stop light/sign.

turdles said:
I have a stock(at the moment) XJ. After I put the 5.5 Rub Exp lifts and the 33" BFG Mud tires on it will my gas mileage be really bad?

Also if i upgrade my gears to 4:56 with it improve my gas mileage?

I'd expect to lose about 2 mpg...more if you bolt on a bunch of really heavy stuff and carry even more really heavy stuff.

4.56's will do more to extend transmission life than any great improvement in gas mileage.

Nay

Back