• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waterpump?

thenav

NAXJA Forum User
so i cant figure out this new noise im hearing.. it starts when warmed up, after about 10-15 seconds.. is audible when driving when i pull up to anothercar or fence as the tires are too damn loud.. and its a ticking almost exhaust leak sound.. its not my lifters as its coming from underneath the truck toward the front. my harmonic balancer hasn't chucked my belt yet (there is a noticeable shimmy in it though) but Im not sure what else it may be. I know the old renix blocks run hot, but i drove it for maybe 5 mins and i cant even put a cloth in hand on the valve cover. any ideas when/what sounds a waterpump makes on'er way out? (i know they usually leak first, as well as squeel, but its not doing either)

taken infront of clutchfan/waterpump... oh, at the end of the video the motor stalled

<br />
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/56o31iFQABA"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/56o31iFQABA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object><br />
<br />

it gets ridiculously loud when driving/coming to a stop.. this was just sitting in my driveway.

thanks alot guys,

Nav

mine always sounded sweekier than that, that sounds like a flap flap flap. Could be i missed the sound int he past though at eartly stages my headers and flowmasters are kinda loud. That and stero. The squeekiness is unmistakable though. toughie from the sounds on that clip. definately could be the waterpump.

Don't take the belt off...that's just asking for overheating.

Look VERY carefully at the exhaust manifold when it's cool. They have a nasty habit of cracking where the pipes combine...and usually on the inside, where it's harder to tell.

well im missing th first bolt at the front of the manifold (thats new) but the heat sheild is in the way, so i cant tell if anythings wrong with it? but this sound on the clip is more towards the clutch fan side of the block.

any ideas?

Nav

Just a thought, you might check re-check your harmonic balancer. On high mileage motors they're notorius for backing into the timing cover and it sounds a lot like an exhaust leak.

recheck for loosesness? as in tighten it up? how other than that do you know if its going south, aside from it chucking belts?

Thanks alot

Nav

The harmonic balancer is actually two peices, if you look close at it you'll see that there's rubber between the 2 pieces. The outering or pulley portion actually can work its way into the timing cover. I'm not sure I'm explaining it very well. Do a search on the OEM TECH forum for harmonic balancer, you'll get a better idea of what I'm trying to say. I've had this happen on two Cherokees. It looks like the pulley is fine but upon close ispection I could see the pulley was touching the timing cover.

and was it an easy enough fix? reason i ask is that i sprayed some wd40 right in the center of the harmonic balancer hub, and the noise (seemed) to dissapear.. or at least quieted down for a bit. also I noticed oil drips from under the balancer, dripping to the front of the oilpan, and staying on the bolts holding the oil pan in. There's not much, but enough to recognise that it's engine oil. could this be leaking from the same source of the squealing?

Nav

It's a relatively easy fix. You'll need a puller to remove the harmonic balancer and some basic hand tools. If you're harmonic balancer has infact backed into the timing cover, over time it can actually wear a hole in it, not a good thing. The oil could be coming from that or the front seal or just the oil pan gasket. You won't know until you pull off the harmonic balancer.

You should be able see, from either above or below, if the balancer is touching the cover. Or maybe get you're ear close enough to discern if that's where you're noise is coming from.

ya the balancer is touching the timing cover, and I hope that it hasn't worn anything into it..Im going to take it off tomorrow and replace the balancer, oil seal, and the timing chain while Im at it... How much do cover's run for incase I need to replace that as well??

thanks for all your help

Nav

Back