• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunky McClunkington's Clunky Jeep

Ruddager

NAXJA Forum User
So.

2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport 4x4.

So I got a jeep and pretty much immediately:-

Replaced front discs/bearings/brakes
Replaced rear drums/shoes/springs
Replaced U-joints and greased slip yoke.

There is a clunking coming from the rear I don't know if it pre-existed as the Jeep was a mess when I got it. The clunk is in time with the rotation of the wheel. Very slow speeds you cannot hear it, but slightly faster 10+mph it'll appear. Holding both the accelerator and brake you can hear the clunk rhythmically with the turning of the wheel (you can also feel this clunk). While driving it gets noticeably worse when the car is warm.

I have read a bunch about similar issues but I've also read a bunch of threads that simmer out without resolution. I'm determined to figure this out and post the solution.

sooooooo....

1.) My first thought is that it is due to the A1-auto bought drums being too big. Does anyone have any experience of this? there is some movement between the drum and the bolts - but it's minimal (2mm or so?)

2.) The (dana 30) rear axle rocks in and out, again about 2-3 mm. The sound it produces is very similar to the sound of the clunk. I know it has some movement but I don't know how much is too much. Do the c-clips need replacing?

3.) Maybe it's the break shoes rubbing? in on photo you can see how the outer edge of the drum is being proved by something? -

Pictures:- https://imgur.com/a/uAfQLom

Videos :- https://streamable.com/2jm9v3
Video 2:- https://streamable.com/ctfor4

Check and see what axle you actually have(it's not a D30). The end-play and radial backlash is normal. Have you checked the fluid level? Make sure the "brakes" are the right application for your axle (they look normal).

Axle shaft clunk is normal. Brake drums are pinched very tightly by the lug nuts and wheel.

Did you have the brake shoes oriented properly, primary vs. secondary ?

Is there excessive pinion moment ? Are the u-joints worn excessively ? Are all the shock, sway bar, and suspension bushings sound ?

One of my rear sway bar to axle links broke a weld, and clunked. Loose u-bolts will allow clunking.

The leaf springs are sagging.

Last edited:
Axle shaft clunk is normal. Brake drums are pinched very tightly by the lug nuts and wheel.

Did you have the brake shoes oriented properly, primary vs. secondary ?

Longer shoe faces the rear of the car, correct? (The attached pictures are of rear right hand side) - as far as I can see they are correct - unless both sets where back to front?

Is there excessive pinion moment ? Are the u-joints worn excessively ? Are all the shock, sway bar, and suspension bushings sound ?

One of my rear sway bar to axle links broke a weld, and clunked. Loose u-bolts will clunk.

How do you tell excessive pinion movement?

I keep the jeep at work, so I'll go over everything and report back tomorrow - Thanks :sunshine:

Jack it up and spin it.
If u don.t hear anything get a rubber mallet and start tapping.
I rebuild my xfer case after a shady mechanic removed a spring from my rear brakes.
it caused this weird rattle noise that I could not pinpoint.
Eventually I was rubber malleting around the drum and heard the rattle.
Took it apart to find the spring on the upper drum cross bar missing.

Jack it up and spin it.
If u don.t hear anything get a rubber mallet and start tapping.
I rebuild my xfer case after a shady mechanic removed a spring from my rear brakes.
it caused this weird rattle noise that I could not pinpoint.
Eventually I was rubber malleting around the drum and heard the rattle.
Took it apart to find the spring on the upper drum cross bar missing.

When I jack it and spin it you hear nothing - I even jacked the hole car and sped the wheels and braked - still nothing.

I replaced the brake inners with new kit when I replaced the shoes. 99% sure it's correct.

I know that's really common too- tap ur leafs with a rubber mallet- those little clips on the springs can cause some noises.

This may be a dollar short and a day late, but I narrowed down some weird clunking noise to my exhausting hitting the trans crossmember. The exhaust hanger rubber mount on my jeep is worn enough to just barely let it touch. I would've expected a buzzing myself, but it manifests as a weird clunk that I can hear through the floor, mostly around idle though.

Back