• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Build

OneNineEightNine

NAXJA Forum User
In the fall of 2008 I bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo for $1700:
cherokeeliftdone001.jpg

Here are some pics from the build process:

JeepTrimmingandMounting004.jpg

JeepTrimmingandMounting006.jpg

AfterWheelin002.jpg

DumpedPipe-5.jpg

11-25-08-5.jpg

Mud.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

NewFenders7.jpg

NewFenders6.jpg

NewFenders5.jpg

So, that is where it sits at this point. Here's the specs:
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
4.0 I6
AW4
HP D30 Front
D35 Rear (Building Up The Cherokee D44)
4.5" RC Full Spring Lift
33x12.50R15 ProComp X-Terrains
15x8 Black Cragar D-Windows
Fender Trim Front & Rear
K&N Drop In Filter
Magnaflow High-Flow Cat
Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back Exhaust System (Dumped After Axle)
Uniden Pro530W CB w/ PA
3' Fire Stick w/ Tuneable Tip
Walcott Taillight Mount
Pioneer iPod Ready Deck
(4) Alpine Type S 5-1/4's
48" Hi-Lift Jack
Smittybily 3" x 30' 30,000lb Recovery Strap

...I know I have done more stuff to this thing. Anyways here it is, my NAXJA build thread. Feel free to envy it. Or say rude things about it. Whatever... There is another more detailed build thread on "that other forum for Jeeps" if you know what I'm sayin'.

-Sean

looking good, i can't believe you stated with such a clean cherokee though, not even rust in the rockers, crazy!

looking good, i can't believe you stated with such a clean cherokee though, not even rust in the rockers, crazy!

i know! and only 130k for an '89. only things wrong were a little faded paint and a saggy headliner. oh and missing fuse. needed a tune up but hey this thing was nice for an 89.

-Sean

The fact Washington does not salt the road as much as Iowa in the winter more then likely helps the rust issue. 3-5 year when we lived in Iowa and vehicle would start rusting. Has been a few years since lived there however.

that sucks man. we dont really use salt here i dont believe. we use sand. BUT, i have seen some vehicles up in the san juans (near salt water) with some SERIOUS rust from salt coming off the ocean.

-Sean

it came off an 87 XJ so its a direct bolt in which is nice. just cleaning it up and rebuilding it for now. check your local craigslist listings thats how i got mine. unfortunatley these are the only two pics i have in which the diff cover is even shown at all.

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

-Sean

yes it is completely open... UNFORTUNATLEY. good thing is the 30 spline shafts but im gonna have to lock it up right away cuz im used to my D35 which has limited slip. wish the 35 LSD would swap to the 44, but that aint happenin. so yeah im just gonna look at it being open as an upside: its open because its hungry for a locker!

whats the story on the front fenders..... ie why did you cut them like that?

x2 You cut way too much IMO! The rest of the jeep looks good though!

x2 You cut way too much IMO! The rest of the jeep looks good though!

the first reason i cut em like that is because i saw another cherokee that looked SWEET with em like that. second reason is because when hitting bumps at high rates of speed my tires would rub fender. the third reason was to eliminate some dents that were somehow forming... at first i was like, oh no, have i done something wrong? but now that i look at it, i really like it. it looks a lot more agressive and if i want to i could run 35's. and with another inch of lift 36's comfortably (never know i might do it). fully flexed out, the tires dont even THINK about touching fender up front. not even bump-stopped. so, thats why... come back and take a look. it mihgt grow on you. if it doesnt, look again.

-Sean

Back