• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo gear leaking?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
just installed a SYE on my jeep, and i put the speedo gear in it feels/looks like it is in there but it seems to be leaking out of their while im driving pretty good? is it in there wrong? and yes the little O ring is in there. any ideas, could i just put a little silicone around it and stick it back in?

not sure how much fluid goes in their i just filled it up to the hole? seems to be seated in there it sits flat anyways?

i have to ask, but you filled it in the fill hole and not the hole where the speedo gear goes correct?

and when i rebuilt my t-case, i used some silicone on the speedo gear hole. doesnt leak and i dont see how it would be a problem

haha yeah to the fill hole not the speedo hole. (thats a lot of fluid). well ill try some silicone on the speedo hole hope that works headed to moab tommorow party1:

how tight did you tighten the little bolt. i've had that problem and just put another turn or two on the bolt and it stopped

Was the o-ring new or used?

I've had that experience before and I believe that the used o-ring was stretched out just slightly enough for it not to seat properly or produce a good enough seal. Put in a new o-ring and fixed it.

2x on the O-ring theory. There's a sharp edge where the O-ring slips over to seat in place. Most likely you tore the O-ring when you installed the speedo gear housing....

Agree on the old oring, I have Had all my fluid leak out from one that was slightly pinched... I always get a new one now. I think of it as cheap insurance

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

Back