• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat Extractor Hood Vents

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
Have any of you installed heat extractor vents on your hood? If so, I'd love some feedback. I'm planning on installing them on mine and I want to do it right.

I'm looking at the RunCool Hood Louvers. These look nice and aren't too expensive.

Are there any that can be scavenged from a junk yard vehicle that look nice and work well?

While I strongly disagree with their tactics, I took the advice of the first two responses to this thread and searched for what I needed. I had to scour a couple years worth of threads that had nothing to do with what I was after, but I found a little bit of useful information.

1. It seems that a lot of people like the LeBaron vents.

2. Most people recommend installing drip pans to keep sensitive electronics (TPS, etc.) safe.

Now, going back to my original post, what I'm looking for is feedback on what people have done. Did you like what you put in? Did it work well? Was it easy to install? Do you like the way it looked afterward? etc. What would you recommend? Would you do it the same way again if given the opportunity? If not, what would you do?

Also, does anyone know of a site or thread that shows how to fab drip pans? I'm not sure how to do it without virtually nullifying the effect of the vent.

drip pans arent needed IMO. i ran gen right louvers on my zj and never had any problems in rain or snow living in NJ. Gen right doesnt have drip pans or anything like that with their louvers. Figure that driving through a puddle splashes up plenty of water up through the bay.

While I strongly disagree with their tactics, I took the advice of the first two responses to this thread and searched for what I needed. I had to scour a couple years worth of threads that had nothing to do with what I was after, but I found a little bit of useful information.

I understand. What I should have said was " Would it be okay with you if you clicked the search button? Only 5,000 people have done this and reported their results before you." Sorry I hurt your feelings.

I understand. What I should have said was " Would it be okay with you if you clicked the search button? Only 5,000 people have done this and reported their results before you." Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Heck, I even PROVIDED the search button.

:shiver:

here is my solution to the tps getting wet... just a rattle can top that fits on there great with no problems

46c0c139-db48-c0b3.jpg

................. Now, going back to my original post, what I'm looking for is feedback on what people have done

Did you like what you put in?

Not particularly ... I just fitted 1/2" spacers to the hood hinges and fitted a larger firewall seal between the hinges ... leaving the raised, hood corner area open - as vents.

Did it work well?

yep ... as expected ... it vents quite well at slow and fast speeds ... rather than just at low speeds and maybe a littlle bit at higher speeds ... as is the case with rear, centrally mounted, hood "vents".

... and I didnt have to second guess any water/sensor issue possibilities.

Was it easy to install?

Piece of cake ... No raping of the hood, No repainting, no fab work, no scrounging JY for old worn out bits or paying exorbitant prices for bits of slotted tin.

Do you like the way it looked afterward?

Not particularly ... it looks like I bumped into a tree at 20mph .. :laugh:

but it works .. ;);)

What would you recommend?

Whatever vent arrangement suits your driving requirements ... after you ensure the cooling system is in A1 condition for your needs.

Would you do it the same way again given the opportunity? If not, what would you do?

Yep sure would .. its worked well - on a variety of brand vehicles I've owned over the years.

... however with the XJ ... I'd much rather bang some vents in the fenders ... which I might - once I finish experimenting & cutting up the donor XJs panels.

Pretty sure you could google 'XJ hood vent' and LeBaron vents would be the most popular option, without even being on a forum.

RunCool vents here. Never had a problem with anything electronic and I've driven through hurricane rain and blizzard snow.

shootthemoon.jpg

Install was easy if you like drilling 100 holes and installing a million rivets. My friend still loves telling people about me standing on the tire and front bumper and cutting a hole in the hood with an angle grinder. Wish he got a pic of that.

And no way in hell they reduce engine temps by 20+ degrees. I can clearly see heat coming through them, but at the end of a long drive, the hood is still too hot to hold my hand on for more than a second. My coolant temps did not drop at all due to these. Mainly for looks.

I can understand where some of these guys are coming from. There must be 100s of individual post about hood vents on here.
Anyway, I run Genrights. look and work good. Underhood temps 40 degrees lower. No drip pans and no problems with water.

Back