NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 20th, 2010, 19:53
NAXJA Forum User

Antifreeze

The last few times I was crawling around under my XJ I noticed a few drops of antifreeze on the bottom of the transmission bell housing. Nothing has ever made it to the ground, at least in my garage. Possibly related, my 4.0 has been running very warm lately, whatever the mark 210 and 260 is. Last summer in the heat of the day it was always around 210, all last fall and even this winter it wants to run warm all the time. I did buy a thermostat today but haven't changed it yet. But antifreeze on the bell housing and no visible leaks. All new hoses, checked and re checked. Bypassed the heater control vacuum valve, hoses go straight to the heater core.

Stumped,

jon

Last edited by East_River_XJ; March 20th, 2010 at 20:23.
Old March 20th, 2010, 20:01
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Antifreeze

Kind of a weird place to find antifreeze, only place i could think of is if the back of your head gasket is blown, or possibly one of the freeze plugs is leaking.....
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:25
NAXJA Forum User

Post year of your XJ.

Leaks are kind of hard for us to help you with. If you can't isolate the cause, get it up on a hoist and get a good light on there and you should be able to find it.

You need to get that coolant temp back down to the 200-210 range. As you have a new thermostat, (be sure it's a 195 degree stat) I would perform a complete flush and fill.

How old are your water pump and radiator? If all of this stuff is old and you can do the work yourself and you plan on keeping the vehicle, a complete cooling system overhaul would be worth considering.

Last edited by birchlakeXJ; March 21st, 2010 at 04:58.
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:48
On a Time Out

Possibly water pump seal if it's makng it's way to the back of the motor?

H2o pump seals are notorious for slow leaks and displacing of coolant from the original leak location. (splatter)
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:35
NAXJA Forum User

There are "freeze plugs" in the block and a really nasty one on the head at the firewall--you need to locate the leak. Pressure tester, UV dye, but find it.