• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Approach Angle & Winch Bumpers

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm searching for a good quality bumper that works with a winch, protects the factory headlights, and provides mounting points for off road lights. I'm thinking about an ARB Bull Bumper, but I'm concerned that I may be giving up more approach angle than I need to in order to achieve my objective. A friend told me to look at Four Real's bumper; I like it, but it doesn't wrap around the factory headlights.

I'm looking for as much first hand knowledge as I can find on this one since these bumpers are all a bit too expensive to try out and then discard in order to try another one.

Thanks,
Robert

My knowledge might not be too deep, but I really like the Warn bumper. I've been looking a lot for bumpers and keep coming back to this one. It seems to have a really steep approach angle and looks super tough. I want it w/o the grill guard, but of course you can get it either way. I think this picture doesn't show the approach angle as well as other. To get any steeper, I think you'll be looking at a prerunner style. but then you'll probably lose the headlight protection.

Photo6982270.xj.jpg

Good luck.

I have the ORGS MFG. winch bumper and although it doesn't have wrap around head light prntecäion, it does have one of the best(if not the best) approach angles of any XJ winch bumper on the market. Note that it doDq not hang down below the front cross member...
P4120071.JPG

Jes

Last edited:
I really like the TrailReady front (and rear) bumpers

looks as bulletproof at the ARBs, but better and slightly cheaper

I think its what I'm going to get once i have the $.

www.trailready.com

CaptTrev

which is the one they used on the rock ready rescue cherokee? that one looks like it didnt give up anything

XJWheelie said:
I'm searching for a good quality bumper that works with a winch, protects the factory headlights, and provides mounting points for off road lights. I'm thinking about an ARB Bull Bumper, but I'm concerned that I may be giving up more approach angle than I need to in order to achieve my objective. A friend told me to look at Four Real's bumper; I like it, but it doesn't wrap around the factory headlights.

I'm looking for as much first hand knowledge as I can find on this one since these bumpers are all a bit too expensive to try out and then discard in order to try another one.

Thanks,
Robert

ARB's are not stout enough for serious rock work. I've seen three of them bent in the last two summers.

ORGS is way stout, and Aj's looks nice as well.

CRASH

sredish said:
Hmmm. Does that include the powdercoating? What I can't stand is these companies selling for 3 or 400 and then want you to paint it. :doh:

You need to go and fab something yourself. Then maybe you can appreciate why $300-400 is a great deal for a bumper not painted.

The prices for AJ's and BPI are so good it make's building one your self seem kinda stupid.

cherokeekid said:
You need to go and fab something yourself. Then maybe you can appreciate why $300-400 is a great deal for a bumper not painted.

The prices for AJ's and BPI are so good it make's building one your self seem kinda stupid.

Except that you can build a front and rear for less than that. I wouldn't exactly call that "stupid." Just depends on wether or not you have the tools or access to the tools. The steel is cheap. Of course, if you are stupid then the fabrication part might be a little difficult, math and imagination are required.

Markm80521 said:
Except that you can build a front and rear for less than that. I wouldn't exactly call that "stupid." Just depends on wether or not you have the tools or access to the tools. The steel is cheap. Of course, if you are stupid then the fabrication part might be a little difficult, math and imagination are required.

Sorry, for the time involved $300-400 is not such a bad deal was my point. I've fabbed up stuff nothing spectacular, just making a point that those prices are great.

cherokeekid said:
Sorry, for the time involved $300-400 is not such a bad deal was my point. I've fabbed up stuff nothing spectacular, just making a point that those prices are great.
No, you are correct. That is not that bad of a price at all. Winch bumper with a brush guard, powder coated and shipped is a more accurate way to quote and I would guess you are probably up around $450 - $500 at the least.

I run C-Rok's bumper. It has an excellent approach angle on it and he'll customize it, so you could have him put a brush guard on it if you want. It also comes with the steering box plate and a big mounting plate for the other side as well as a piece to attach to the center crossmember to stiffen everything up. www.c-rok.com

sredish said:
I think that looks sharp. In fact, I was looking at that pic on the AJ site, and for 3 and a half or 4 bones, thats really good. That may just be my new bumper. Hmmm. Does that include the powdercoating? What I can't stand is these companies selling for 3 or 400 and then want you to paint it. :doh:

I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to get that bumper from AJ for 3 or 4 hundred. That bumper is so time consuming for him, he's been charging a little more. Plus, I'm sure there would be a large lead time.

See here for more info. You can also post on his forum with or without registering to get more feedback from him. He watches his forum closely.

Here are the three bumpers I've had on my rig in the past year or so.

AJ's Winch.

AJORA_Front_004.jpg

AJ's non Winch with front receiver.

AJORA_Front_031.jpg

Hanson Winch.

DSCN2563.jpg

PNW4WDA_017.jpg

I have been very happy with all of them.

l have the new WARN winch mount. Mine doesnt have the headlight guards but the one the guards is the same.

The mounting on the Warn is why I bought that bumper. It stiffened up my whole front end.

Just my .02

Back