NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep CJs and Wranglers > Wrangler JK and JL (2007 - Present)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Wrangler JK and JL (2007 - Present) Technical forum for new-generation Jeep Wrangers.

Old July 23rd, 2017, 17:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: upgrading alternator wiring

To the both of you-

There are two things Jeep is notorious for, overheating, and shit electrical.

I've gone through mine, as have a few others here. Completely gone through my harnesses, replaced wire, increased wire gauge, improved and increased grounds.....etc.....

My shit ain't broke and I dont' talk out my ass. I see nothing but BS out of the two you.

Post up, let us all see your work.

And some numbers.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 18:49
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Driver View Post
Alright then, F-ing do it.
12 amp at idle with just the radio on. 20 amp with headlights, 58 amp with ac and fan on high with headlights on hi beam.
This is at idle with an operating temp at 208 and a new alternator. Amperage does not change with rpm which means that is all the draw there is.

Voltage drop is a another matter but that's due to undersize wires and not the current demands
Old July 23rd, 2017, 19:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
12 amp at idle with just the radio on. 20 amp with headlights, 58 amp with ac and fan on high with headlights on hi beam.
This is at idle with an operating temp at 208 and a new alternator. Amperage does not change with rpm which means that is all the draw there is.

Voltage drop is a another matter but that's due to undersize wires and not the current demands

Those numbers do not surprise me, about what I expected.

I had read that the average vehicle, factory, requires about 88 amps with AC. Most factory alts produce about 10% more amps than is required.

2.5 Jeeps came factory with a 75 amp alt.

Post #1 of this thread, man is looking at a 160 amp alt, this generally means that one is looking to increase demand.

My SPAL Efan alone requires 25 amps........any of us with extras will be in the 100 amp neighborhood..........light bars, trailer, secondary batteries, amplifiers, multiple fans.....etc....
Old July 23rd, 2017, 19:37
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Driver View Post
To the both of you-

There are two things Jeep is notorious for, overheating, and shit electrical.

I've gone through mine, as have a few others here. Completely gone through my harnesses, replaced wire, increased wire gauge, improved and increased grounds.....etc.....

My shit ain't broke and I dont' talk out my ass. I see nothing but BS out of the two you.

Post up, let us all see your work.

And some numbers.

Nice work.

I am curious why the sideways battery? I have no doubt there is a reason for it.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 20:10
PostMaster General

So.... I will start by saying that my dick is bigger and it can handle the load of 160 amps on stock wiring

Having said that - folks... Chill..... As the original poster I will repeat what wss buried someplace in the thread already - it's a jeep but not xj and the 160 alternator is stock. Furthermore I will explain why am I looking to upgrade. The issue came about while towing my trailer and a battery that dropped in charge wouldnt come back up during the 12 your drive. I was able to bring up the battery at home with a big charger.
Granted the alternator might not be able to do what those new fancy chargers do nowadays but I kind of expected for it to at least twitch from the 10.5V a bit.... So my searches yielded what some call big 3 upgrades which mean improving alternator to ground, battery to ground and alternator to battery positive.... And there it seems to be a common practice to run a second wire in parallel..... Anyways.... Never expected that big of a pissing match resulting in I showed you mine... You show me yours (wiring)
Old July 25th, 2017, 19:10
NAXJA Forum User

In the interest of not completely killing this thread (sorry about the dick measuring contest).... alternator loads/sizing discussion to be taken here:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1142323
Old July 25th, 2017, 20:05
NAXJA Forum User

Are you sure the auxpower to the trailer was working correctly? More often than not I find those don't even work?
Old July 25th, 2017, 20:42
PostMaster General

Yes it was. I tested the output and it was delivering power just fine.
Old July 27th, 2017, 13:04
NAXJA Forum User

OP has a small penis.....and put it in the wrong forum. Moved to other tech.
Old October 15th, 2017, 06:06
NAXJA Forum User

Wow ok. That was hard to read through. Anyway I am doing the 160 amp upgrade on my 2000 XJ. The wire upgrade is the only question I have. So I can leave my stock wiring and just add a 4 gage wire from alternator to battery? I know there might be a lot of different ways but this will work right? And if not, does anyone have a picture or diagram of how it needs to be? I can wire up anything, knowing how the wiring is supposed to be, not so great at.
Old October 16th, 2017, 16:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerChief135 View Post
Wow ok. That was hard to read through. Anyway I am doing the 160 amp upgrade on my 2000 XJ. The wire upgrade is the only question I have. So I can leave my stock wiring and just add a 4 gage wire from alternator to battery? I know there might be a lot of different ways but this will work right? And if not, does anyone have a picture or diagram of how it needs to be? I can wire up anything, knowing how the wiring is supposed to be, not so great at.
Yes, you can add the wire from the alt to the battery.
Old October 19th, 2017, 06:19
NAXJA Member 4950

Most folks run it through a mega fuse first. So alt to fuse - fuse to bat
Old October 22nd, 2017, 15:47
NAXJA Forum User

OK thanks Green XJ Jeep and Jeep Driver. The install went great, just a little grinding on the brackets. I will put in a fuse.