• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Much is my XJ worth?

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fellow Jeepers,

Last week I created a post here asking about how much I could probably get for my XJ but something must have happened and I no longer see it. Regardless, here are the specs, let me know what you think I would be able to potentially get for it in Los Angeles area,

1994 XJ 4.0L 180k miles
231 Tcase with SYE
JKS Disconnects
RE 4.5 in lift with full rear packs
RE monotubes
Front D30 with locker & 4.56 gearing
Rear Chryco 8.25 with 4.56 gearing
Front Bumper with D-rings and Lighting
Side Nerf bars
Confer Roof rack
Alpine stereo with Kicker sub
97+ automatic doors

Jeep runs well overall, needs new door weatherstripping all around.

Thanks,
Pete
42ea9e4cc46ef8ca8b41e4a5d8c72519.jpg
1a0c994797367eccf5317863200ec981.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The reason is that this is not the right area to ask that type of question. I think it got moved.

It is worth a great deal more in places where snow melting road salt ruins everything.

It would be worth more if it didn't have a General Patton paint job.

I told you the other day in the deleted post. I bought this 2000 w/ 3.5 RE lift a little over a year ago for $800.
20180325_153213_zpsau2x0bwg.jpg

2K?

The paint job ruins the jeeps value TBH, so figure 50% of the aftermarket parts, minus labor.

Yes I originally picked it up for the wiring harness on my other 2000 "big brother" rig but decided it was to nice to part out. It also is a rust free native Arizona vehicle. It needed some body repair but the drivetrain was sound and easily passed emissions.

Hello fellow Jeepers,

Last week I created a post here asking about how much I could probably get for my XJ but something must have happened and I no longer see it. Regardless, here are the specs, let me know what you think I would be able to potentially get for it in Los Angeles area,

1994 XJ 4.0L 180k miles
231 Tcase with SYE
JKS Disconnects
RE 4.5 in lift with full rear packs
RE monotubes
Front D30 with locker & 4.56 gearing
Rear Chryco 8.25 with 4.56 gearing
Front Bumper with D-rings and Lighting
Side Nerf bars
Confer Roof rack
Alpine stereo with Kicker sub
97+ automatic doors

Jeep runs well overall, needs new door weatherstripping all around.

Thanks,
Pete
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Currently, XJ pricing swings wildly depending on location. In my area I bet you could get 3 or 4 grand out of it. Probably more if it was in good stock condition. Other areas it would be 2 grand or less. You really just need to get on Craigslist and other local sell websites and see what the pricing looks like in your area.

We're probably seeing the beginning of the end of the cheap throw away XJ. I'd imagine that they will eventually occupy the space that the Grand Wagoner currently occupies at lower prices in another 10 years or so. Who would have ever thought that a Jeep Grand Wagoneer would go for over 50,000 dollars?

Currently, XJ pricing swings wildly depending on location. In my area I bet you could get 3 or 4 grand out of it. Probably more if it was in good stock condition. Other areas it would be 2 grand or less. You really just need to get on Craigslist and other local sell websites and see what the pricing looks like in your area.

We're probably seeing the beginning of the end of the cheap throw away XJ. I'd imagine that they will eventually occupy the space that the Grand Wagoner currently occupies at lower prices in another 10 years or so. Who would have ever thought that a Jeep Grand Wagoneer would go for over 50,000 dollars?

guess i need to quit beating on mine like it owes me money

Lol, no one has a legit answer???

Go to KBB.com and enter the XJ info. Total up the retail price of all the add-on parts, subtract any and all install costs, and divide that number by 2.

Add the KKB price plus the 1/2 of parts prices and be willing to negotiate downwards.

guess i need to quit beating on mine like it owes me money

This is the direction we are headed man. Probably not this high on private party sales but people are buying XJs from these guys at these prices. It's seems so crazy to everyone because of how long we have had a high supply and basement level pricing on them but the supply is finite....

https://inventory.davisautosports.com/vehicles?q[make_eq]=Jeep&q[model_eq]=Cherokee

Then take this as an exterme example. First year XJ with a Cummins swap. They're talking 40+ grand price tag when they are done.

https://inventory.davisautosports.com/vehicles/123/1984-jeep-cherokee-4wd-cummins-diesel-chief

That's almost comical, they must be laundering drug money because what legitimate bank is going to loan full price(new) on a 20yr+ old vehicle.

You can get personal loans for whatever you want. Some people also have the pockets deep enough to simply pay cash.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I can borrow up to half of what's in my retirement Vanguard profit sharing account. Pretty much how i fixed up my XJ. Loan from my Vanguard retirement account. I can go up to 5 years on repayment. 4.5% interest i pay to myself, so it's like i'm saving more money. Payment comes right out my paycheck split bi-weekly. Smarter this way as i'm not giving any bank interest money. This help's with older vehicle cash purchases or whatever.

Go to KBB.com and enter the XJ info. Total up the retail price of all the add-on parts, subtract any and all install costs, and divide that number by 2.

Add the KKB price plus the 1/2 of parts prices and be willing to negotiate downwards.

Hmmm. With that formula. I did not price in all the engine compartment replacement parts/sensor's in the last 4 years. Only original left is the A/C system, brake booster and throttle body itself. I added up just the main hard part's. $8400. Without labor or tax. Plus. I'm going to put new 33's($800) on it next weekend. Needed because of the 4.56 gears. KBB list my cherokee with 24000K(rebuilt engine, no miles on gears or 231J) at about $4000. Hmmmm. So, $8200?? Nahhh i'm not gonna start with that. I would like to sell it to a NAXJA member before putting it on Autotrader.

Last edited:
You can get personal loans for whatever you want. Some people also have the pockets deep enough to simply pay cash.

But they're all mall crawlers with cheap parts and workmanship. They're 42K stage six build is a joke. No Jeep guy would ever consider it!

No matter what you think it’s only worth what you can get somebody to pay for it — being too high priced and stubborn only hurts the seller — trust me, I know

XJ's are a hobby vehicle....not an investment. We do it because we love it.
That's part of the price we pay.

As far as borrowing on IRA's....don't ever do it.
You pay your tax rate(20-25% depending on your income) on the money you pull out and pay fees on top of that.....unless you are older that 59.5yrs old.

Hobbies are called hobbies for a reason....they are payed for with extra cash.
Cash being the key word.

Happy Memorial Day to all.
Be safe and enjoy those XJ's!!!

interesting. there's a flooded out 99 close to me. with the water mark about 2" below the roof for sale for $800. Hasn't sold for that number (not it's value) but that's where it's currently listed.

Back