• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clarification on 'tow points', please

poomba

NAXJA Forum User
All right..I told the shop that installed the front bumper that I needed a couple of tow points added, if it didn't come with them..just like my old bumper has..jeep club requirements..I get there friday to pick it up..no tow points. Its got the Warn 9.5 winch..and when the fuel pump went out, Popeye towed me 20 miles down the highway using a tow strap and the fairlead on the winch..but..does the winch count at the tow point? Or, failing that, anyone gonna be there (moab) Monday that could throw some solid points on a new bumper? I know it's last minute..but the shop is 110 miles from where I live, and I couldn't get out there in time to double check the work. Was supposed to be done tuesday..was late, and working on the fuel pump today (damned thing was only 8 months old), time..is the one thing I don't have. I'll be in Moab, Monday evening, if we can work this out. I'd hate to miss the trails..but..rules are rules, and if it can't be worked out, I understand. I just need a semi-official ruling, I guess.

I am bringing a small welder and a grinder. Remi is bringing a drill. We could probably throw somethin together. I do think the winch counts as a tow point but would not strap from the actual winch. Just use the winch to help yourself from a stationary point on someone elses rig.

poomba said:
All right..I told the shop that installed the front bumper that I needed a couple of tow points added, if it didn't come with them..just like my old bumper has..jeep club requirements..I get there friday to pick it up..no tow points. Its got the Warn 9.5 winch..and when the fuel pump went out, Popeye towed me 20 miles down the highway using a tow strap and the fairlead on the winch..but..does the winch count at the tow point? Or, failing that, anyone gonna be there (moab) Monday that could throw some solid points on a new bumper? I know it's last minute..but the shop is 110 miles from where I live, and I couldn't get out there in time to double check the work. Was supposed to be done tuesday..was late, and working on the fuel pump today (damned thing was only 8 months old), time..is the one thing I don't have. I'll be in Moab, Monday evening, if we can work this out. I'd hate to miss the trails..but..rules are rules, and if it can't be worked out, I understand. I just need a semi-official ruling, I guess.
Bring your junk.

Between all of us, we'll have everything to take care of those pesky tow points.

Personally, I'm bringing 90% of my tools. That's right, I'll have the Okie tackle box there.

Okie Terry said:
Bring your junk.

Between all of us, we'll have everything to take care of those pesky tow points.

Personally, I'm bringing 90% of my tools. That's right, I'll have the Okie tackle box there.

Don't read too much into this. I'm sure the tools consist of an old steak knife, one of the free screwdriver sets from the bank, a flashlight from last years Christmas stocking and some UPS packing tape.

JohnJohn said:
Don't read too much into this. I'm sure the tools consist of an old steak knife, one of the free screwdriver sets from the bank, a flashlight from last years Christmas stocking and some UPS packing tape.
Right, 90%, and it all fits in the Okie tackle box.

Sheesh am I alone in here?

JohnJohn said:

I have faith..it's prolly a Ginsu! Thanks guys, I'll be there Monday. Canyonlands campground, cabin area, but will prolly cruise thru Slickrock. Tis a white xj but gods..wait til you see the cheesy orange beads..it's um..distinctive. Another reason to have a welding helmet handy, they're a lot brighter than I've ever been :looser:

Canyonlands? You are gonna bring it to us so we don't have to travel ALL the way out to you, aren't you?

Okie Terry said:
Canyonlands? You are gonna bring it to us so we don't have to travel ALL the way out to you, aren't you?

Sure, but if I miss ya, that's where I'll be. Canyonlands Campground is at the south side of town, across from the Mcdonalds, if I remember correctly.

poomba said:
Sure, but if I miss ya, that's where I'll be. Canyonlands Campground is at the south side of town, across from the Mcdonalds, if I remember correctly.
That's right, I was thinking about Archview.

JohnJohn said:
Yup secret Bat Cave entrance by the gas station. !!Walking distance to Moab Brewery I might add!!
Okay, but that's AFTER the tow points are installed..I don't wanna explain why we thought welding the doors closed would add structural integrity after the 10th beer.... We'll figure out what's needed, parts/supplies-wise, cuz I don't have a clue..and I'll get that, somewhere in town, I hope.. I'm starting out early, so should be there in the afternoon, monday. Got clevices, but dunno if we're thinking a couple plates to run clevices thru..or what....we'll figure it out.

I see no problem with your winch cable hook being used as a tow point.....unless of course, it is broken and spools out on its' own.

XJEEPER said:
I see no problem with your winch cable hook being used as a tow point.....unless of course, it is broken and spools out on its' own.

Kay, as everyone saw at Moab, I'm legit..well, I'm still a bastard, but that's another subject :p. Got the tow points put on, just in case, and so that's over and done with..now onto the next 300 things on the list. :peace:

Kejtar said:
:D thanks for bringing the ujoint clamp :D
Well, I figured it would be better than steak knives.

By the way, now I have to repaint the vice. I think I'm the only one that didn't need to use it.

Paint it white to match your rig or brown to match the finger print. Thanks for the use of bough tools! It sure made replacing the axle joint easy.

Back