• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front brakes sticking

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
My front brakes stick every time I let off the pedal, just for a quick second. you can feel and see the front wheels wiggle once the pads let go.

my best guess is this issue below:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xj-tj-zj-front-knuckle-repair-brake-pad-grooves-924713/

I know I have seen these indentations before. I dont weld and would like to know, other than buying new knuckles, which seems kinda dumb for this old of a vehicle, is this the only way to fix this issue?
assuming anything ide find in a JY would have grooves to.

Last edited:
10 min with a wire feed welder and a grinder to smooth out the weld will get you back to good.

This is an interesting fix. But how do you know that the caliper piston is not the cause of the pad sticking? Typically, caliper cast iron pistons are chrome plated. Over time, trapped water causes rust and the chrome plating on the piston starts to flake off and get rough. Likewise, the piston bore in the cast iron caliper gets pitted. The rough/chrome flaked surface, of the piston, prevents the piston from moving smoothly/retracting. Eventually, the rough surface of the piston starts to cut the o-ring seal in the caliper until oil leaks start.

Stainless steel pistons and bronze sleeving of the piston bores, in cast iron calipers, have been used in the past to eliminate this problem.

Best regards,

CJR

I don't know that the caliper isn't sticking. I did however weld/ grind the brake pad grooves, and greased the slides.

These are not the stock calipers so, thus far, though it may still be a possibility, the noise is gone.

If anything persists the caliper will be in check!

Back