• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding the pitman arm

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Is it safe to grind down one side of the pitman arm? My rugged ridge drop pitman arm is considerably wider than the factory unit and it contacts the sway bar when turning full left.

Are you running sway bar drop brackets? At 5" you should be to get the angles better!

Wondering why you are using a drop pitman arm ? How much lift, and what are the specific details of the lift ? Are the sway bar end links the correct extended length for the lift height ?

Well, I've determined that the sway bar was a much higher angle than specified by the factory. My setup has an over the knuckle steering with raised sway bar mounts on the axle and apparently the links need to be very short to allow the sway bar to be closer to stock angle. Also, my sway bar is the addco upgraded 1-1/8" sway bar. I was able to lower the sway bar to a 25-30 degree angle which helped my steering angle.

Back