• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar with Heim joint on Axle end?

JWK2KXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
While resolving a wallowed out axle-side track bar mount hole, I got into a discussion with a Baja Bug owner who is all into using Heim joints. I see a lot of Heim joints being offered online for the frame end of the track bar (along with the necessary frame end bracket), but I don't see anybody offering Heim joints for the axle-end of the track bar.

Any idea why? I'm unclear on what benefits / liabilities there might be to replacing the standard bushing end of a track bar with a Heim joint.

i run heims at both ends. having the track bar as flat as possible at ride height helps a lot with reducing road noise.

keep in mind that there is no "give" in the rod end like a bushing. the mount needs to be able to handle a hard joint.

Heims are fine for a trackbar. I've been running them for years

Ditto. Instead of changing joint types it sounds like you need to replace your trac bar bracket at the axle. Weld on something thicker. I believe companies will sell one ready to weld on.

Thanks for all the info. I did weld a new custom washer to the mount to give it some extra strength and put a larger bolt in. I can see how additional vibes and the lack of give could make my original problem even worse.

I run a RE Superflex type joint (greasable, rebuildable with delrin races) at the frame end and a high quality heim joint at the axle end and have had zero issues with this setup in 9yrs and nearly 100k miles of road and trail use.

I think im going to run offset axle end panhard bracket and 1.25 heims on both ends. Ill plate frame and fab my own frame side bracket.
Shooting for almost level panhard and drag link.

It seems like most people here have kinda side stepped the question of why places don't often put a heim at the axle, while they do at the frame.

The road noise issue is just as easily taken care of with a bushing at the frame end instead of the axle end.

The reasoning for one vs the other is pretty simple. At the axle most companies are using the factory bracket, which uses an odd 1.6" mounting width. Finding misalignment spacers for a heim to fit into that width isn't an easy task, as it's non-standard. There is no such limitation on the frame end because they are either running the heim sideways into the stock bracket in single shear, or using a whole new bracket where they can determine the mounting width and make it more standard. It's much easier to just use a stock style bushing at the axle end to match the stock bracket.

it's got a bushing on one end from the factory so that it doesn't flop around and smack the diff or anything else that it was bent to avoid, since a heim or tie rod will no longer keep it in the same orientation axially like a bushing would. It's likely a non issue for most of us, but some people might whine about it.

It seems like most people here have kinda side stepped the question of why places don't often put a heim at the axle, while they do at the frame.

The road noise issue is just as easily taken care of with a bushing at the frame end instead of the axle end.

The reasoning for one vs the other is pretty simple. At the axle most companies are using the factory bracket, which uses an odd 1.6" mounting width. Finding misalignment spacers for a heim to fit into that width isn't an easy task, as it's non-standard. There is no such limitation on the frame end because they are either running the heim sideways into the stock bracket in single shear, or using a whole new bracket where they can determine the mounting width and make it more standard. It's much easier to just use a stock style bushing at the axle end to match the stock bracket.

Excellent info! Thanks!

Back