• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help with Diffs! - Re-gearing, Ratios & Lockers

The assumption is if you can afford ARB's then cost isn't the issue.

Well.... I don't really have a hard budget yet. But for me, its about a balance between what I need (daily driving, light wheeling, and overlanding) and trying to keep the cost lower. For example, a heavier relocation bracket and SYE would be very nice to have. But I could get cheaper stuff and I'm assuming it still would work fine for what I need. ARB's are expensive, but it could potentially get me out of jams, miles away from help, in terrain where it might be hard to winch. Plus it seems like a lot of fun. Fun is the best part of spending money.

My logic seems pretty sound, but let me know what you think. If you think I might get screwed, stranded or what not, I will have to shell out the extra cash and get those parts and 'X' the ARBs.

the hack & tap w/ a new custom built cv driveshaft behind my 242 has worked great for 4 yrs , w/ lots of hard wheeling on it too. the sye kit for a 242 is way too much money. imo.

That's great news!

What kind of HnT and custom shaft did you get? I'll just rip off your setup if you don't mind.

This is what you will “most likely” do....just goina do this or that then, you get the “bug” and it will be “how can I get the 1 ton axles under it”???? Really think and plan well now and it will save you money in the long run, ask anybody on here and they will tell you.

Dude... about what you're saying, I'm already in it! I bought the XJ, a year ago for $1200 just to carry my camping gear and a cooler. Now I'm talking about hacking and tapping shit. Ask me a year ago and I would have thought you were crazy. It's really an addiction. It's all gotta stop somewhere.

But ultimately you're right. Five years from now, I'll have 1 ton axles crawling in Moab. At what point does it stop being an XJ and start being a transformer?

Thanks for the suggestions! They are all welcome. I have a few questions and responses....

1. SYE kit- Your suggestion is for 231, I have a 242. I think I've found a few that have the full SYE for the 242, but they are very pricey.

2. Gears - I'm definitely going to purchase one from a NAXJA vendor. But curious. What is the advantage of buying from a NAXJA vendor other than good relationships?

3. The ACOS is out of my price range, especially when I see the plastic or aluminum ones for about $30-$50.

4. What are the benefits of a relocation bracket vs. a shackle extension? The relocation bracket looks very heavy duty, and also expensive.

:patriot:

1-So 242 cost of a sye is substantially more. HnT would definitely work. If it was a 231 kind of a no brainer since its not really a big difference in cost.

2-Most times just lower cost. Upside is supporting the little guys instead of the corporate machine. Nothing against 4wp but rather support small business.

3-they cost more but a nice benefit to fine tune your suspension. Plus it upgrades your bump stop.

4-shackle angle. The greater the shackle angle the more leverage it has over the spring, and thus, the lower the spring rate gets. Shackle extensions are nice for some boost but you'll sacrafice ride quality. If you want to get freaky and to throw another random thought out there.

https://liquidironindustries.com/XJ-Jeep-Cherokee-Bolt-On-Leaf-Sliders.html

I hate 4 wheel parts. It's like walking in to the DMV, but they have great sales. I opt for the small vendors.

How bad is the ride quality with the shackle extensions? I'm using this car mostly on the street, and it's already bumpy as shit. I don't know if it's the entry level procomp lift kit that I got, or if every lifted vehicle rides like shit. I think all I need is a 1.5" boost for all the gear I'm about to haul. So is relocation bracket is the bang for your buck?

The freaky shackles look pretty scary. It seems like it's suspending the Jeep with a little bolt and a plastic piece!

??? So you can ruin it and never be able to take it apart again!

Only need to weld the spider gears to the carrier. As long as the carrier pin can still be removed so the axles can be pushed in and the C-clips removed, it can still come apart. It'll booger up tires and axle splines if you run it on the street, guaranteed, but so will a full spool.

Sounds like we have the same plan. I just re-geared my 91XJ with 4.56 gears, down from 3.55. I had 30" tires, but am going up to 33". I did the re-gearing myself, and it was certainly a learning experience. Pre-load, back-lash, shims, crush sleeves, etc. Lots more to it than just bolting in some new parts. Got her all together though, with everything in spec and the test drives have been good. It was actually a lot of fun. I'm glad I decided to do it myself. I don't have the money for a locker right now, but when the break in period for the new ring and pinion are over and I open up the diff again, I'll probably throw an ARB locker in the back. Good luck with your XJ!

I think all I need is a 1.5" boost for all the gear I'm about to haul. So is relocation bracket is the bang for your buck?

Shackle Relocators are required for the rear of an XJ, period, end of story, no questions allowed. The shackle angle on a stock XJ is horrible to begin with.

I hate 4 wheel parts. It's like walking in to the DMV, but they have great sales. I opt for the small vendors.

How bad is the ride quality with the shackle extensions? I'm using this car mostly on the street, and it's already bumpy as shit. I don't know if it's the entry level procomp lift kit that I got, or if every lifted vehicle rides like shit. I think all I need is a 1.5" boost for all the gear I'm about to haul. So is relocation bracket is the bang for your buck?

The freaky shackles look pretty scary. It seems like it's suspending the Jeep with a little bolt and a plastic piece!

Shackle extensions will only make your ride worse. Is a relocation bracket best bang for your buck? Probably not since it's more to net you about the same lift as a SE, but it will provide you with a lot better ride quality.

The leaf sliders have been around forever. The few guys I've saw running them are happy with them. Yes the idea "looks" scary but really it's not. And the plastic piece is a tough little sucker. Even if you have to service them its not that difficult.

Back