• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting a 96 4.0 into a 2000 what do I need to swap?

SofaKing

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my first XJ. A 2000 XJ with a bad 4.0 engine. And have a 1996 4.0 that's been waiting to into something. So I know I'll need the use the 2000 intake, exhaust manifold, coil pack, & remove the 96 distributor and use the part off the 2000. Am I missing anything? Does the the new engine need to be at top dead center when putting the part in place of the distributor? Is there a way to attach the coil pack to the 96 engine?

Thanks

I just did a 98 ZJ swap into my 2000 XJ -- ZJ engine has 27,000 miles on it

Your 2000 had a 0331 head -- you need to address the difference between the 0331 head and whichever head you have on your 96 -- the exhaust, intake ports are different -- this adapter plate makes them all work together -- https://jeepexhaustadapter.com/0630-head/ -- worth every penny in my opinion

You'll also need 2 intake/exhaust gaskets -- the one for the 0331 and the one for whichever head you have

I used the coil rail for the 2000 temporarily -- just laid it on the spark plugs -- it sits there, a little tight with the oil dipstick tube -- Check out this thread for another option --http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066869

It's cheap, and I'll be doing this shortly -- already bought the coil from Rock auto -- Was under $40 IIRC

Cylinder #1 needs to be Top dead center on exhaust stroke -- finger over #1 spark plug hole -- air pushing out at you -- then you set your camshaft position sensor -- line up the holes using a toothpick, paperclip, drill bit -- search NAXJA for proper timing setup of a 2000/2001 -- it's really easy and not critical -- get it close and the PCM corrects

Any questions, ask -- Having just done this It's fresh in my mind

When installing the Camshaft position sensor, Be sure to get the oil pump lined up properly -- just like with the distributor

You also need to swap all front brackets, AC, alternator, Power steering -- also water pumps are different -- need one from 2000 -- cheap insurance , buy new

I also did the 160 amp alternator upgrade while I had everything out -- easy to fit on the bench -- bought new Mopar alternator -- eBay -- $130ish

I have all receipts, part numbers if you need

Would it be possible to just put a new exhaust header on and use the rest of the exhaust?
Sorry for the new guy question.

That's what I would do and DID, why mess with adaptors and multiple gaskets!

That's what I would do and DID, why mess with adaptors and multiple gaskets!

depends -- the 2000 XJ could either have the federal emissions or the Cali emissions

Federal emissions only have I catalytic converter and just 2 O2 sensors

The Cali emmision vehicle has 2 pre cats with 4 O2 sensors

Technically you could swap to a federal emmision header, but what do you do with the extra 2 O2 sensors -- PCM won't play nice with just 2 sensors

So you would need the federal exhaust manifold, a new wiring harness, and a new PCM -- now where do you live? -- does your state have emission testing? -- you won't pass if you convert a Cali emissions vehicle to federal -- won't even get into how it's against federal law...

Just but a "cali" legal exhaust, you still don't need a adapter for anything!

So your saying there is a cali legal exhaust, with the 2 pre cats, that mates up to a head other than the 0331 -- I didn't know that -- I searched for options other than using the 0331 exhaust manifold -- couldn't find anything

Got a link?

Just for info....here in Colorado and several other states, it is illegal to swap an earlier model engine into a later model car.

I saw that but thats for the 0331 head -- still doesn't solve the problem of mating a 0630 head to a 0331 exhaust without the adapter/gasket sandwich

A couple of posts above you made it sound like you found a way to make this work with an aftermarket exhaust manifold...

Just for info....here in Colorado and several other states, it is illegal to swap an earlier model engine into a later model car.

Interesting -- How would they ever know? Would make more sense the other way around -- making a newer engine run dirtier

I think the engine block I used even had the same casting numbers on it -- all the sensors, accessories, and emissions stuff is upgraded to the newer vehicle configuration anyway

I saw that but thats for the 0331 head -- still doesn't solve the problem of mating a 0630 head to a 0331 exhaust without the adapter/gasket sandwich

A couple of posts above you made it sound like you found a way to make this work with an aftermarket exhaust manifold...

I spoke with Banks when I was trying to figure out what to do with my build. There are only 4 Jeep castings with the primary differences being the intake ports, 91-95 #7120, 96-99 #0630, and 99-06 #0331. Banks only makes 2 headers, 1 flange, and 1 manifold gasket. The 2 models(Revolver 91-99 and the Torque Tube 99-06) were dictated by the change in the downpipe configuration, remember these fit TJ's, XJ's, WJ's, and ZJ's. There is no difference other wise, that's why I had to put a new exhaust on a 2000 using a 98 Revolver header, in other words the head itself doesn't mean anything.

All this only applies to headers, not the factory manifolds!

Last edited:
When installing the Camshaft position sensor, Be sure to get the oil pump lined up properly -- just like with the distributor

You also need to swap all front brackets, AC, alternator, Power steering -- also water pumps are different -- need one from 2000 -- cheap insurance , buy new

I also did the 160 amp alternator upgrade while I had everything out -- easy to fit on the bench -- bought new Mopar alternator -- eBay -- $130ish

I have all receipts, part numbers if you need

What did you put in it for an Alternator?

Going to replace the exhaust. The jeep was a Federal emissions model. Why do some of the exhaust headers are solid others look like they have a flexible part to them? Which are better?

I used a 98 ZJ motor for my swap -- Had the 7120 head -- good to know there is another option if my gasket sandwich proves to be a failure point

Mine started life as a 0331, but after Russ was done it's nothing like any model factory head!
P1080516_zpsybaiiwn0.jpg

Back