NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 15th, 2008, 07:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: XJ Dana 44 Ford Explorer Disc Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy6187 View Post
no backing plat means no e-brake as t it holds the shoes. and ford racing also sells the explorer rear disc setup.
Excellent point, I forgot about that.
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:07
NAXJA Forum User

hmm.

I'm worried about cooling on the brakes more than anything, because the rotor doesn't have any vents in it. I've got an auto, and no longer have to pass inspection, so e-brakes aren't too big of a deal for me. worse come to worse, I cut most of the dust shield off and leave the spaces where the e-brakes mount to.

I just don't like the scraping a chalkboard noise when driving with rocks in the brakes.
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:17
NAXJA Forum User

ive been running these brakes for almost a year and have had no problems with heat at all. i also have not had problems with anything in the dust sheilds either. and no matter were i wheel there is always mud...ALWAYS!!!

but you could cut most of the sheild away and still have the center for the e-brake. this may allow rocks and crap to enter the e-brake area as well as the axle seal area. the sheild wraps around the rotor to help pevent this. its not just behind the rotor.
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:51
web wheeler

Latest update and this is regarding the prop valve. My XJ is a 91 and came with the crap ABS. So one of the first upgrades I did was a 95/96 dual diaphram booster/mc.

All the MC's on the chrysler era XJ's are 1" same as ZJ, and WJ, so it would make sense that the change for rear disc is in the prop valve. Internally the prop valves are basically the same, externally, it would require bending lines/switching fittings to put a ZJ prop valve into an XJ. So I took the easy way out, and swapped the spring out with the spring from a disc brake ZJ prop valve. Be sure to hold the body of the prop valve with a wrench, and put a rag underneath it to catch the little bit of brake fluid that comes out. The spring is underneath the cap/bleeder on the end of the prop valve. Pull the cap, swap the springs and bleed it from the cap. Done. You will notice a considerable improvement in braking, without prematurely locking up the rears.
Old November 24th, 2008, 13:09
web wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy6187 View Post
ive been running these brakes for almost a year and have had no problems with heat at all. i also have not had problems with anything in the dust sheilds either. and no matter were i wheel there is always mud...ALWAYS!!!

but you could cut most of the sheild away and still have the center for the e-brake. this may allow rocks and crap to enter the e-brake area as well as the axle seal area. the sheild wraps around the rotor to help pevent this. its not just behind the rotor.
Why remove the shield? They'll only get hot if you mis-adjust your ebrake.
Old March 10th, 2009, 00:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Why remove the shield?
good question,
a better question. is, has anyone cut the shield away yet? can it be done cleanly?

picked up some explorer brakes for a friends d44, and i became VERY annoyed when i found out the dust shield is pretty much gotta stay....

the caliper is also TINY compared to the crown vic calipers..... so far... i gotta say the crown vic seems like a better swap...
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:06
<<the good ol days

is the crown vic a more complicated swap in anyway, or are they essentially the same as far as difficulty is concerned?
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:56
<<the good ol days

Also forgot to ask earlier... I will be running a 5 on 5.5 pattern...does anyone know if I have multiple options? I was considering ordering the teraflex rotors which have the dual pattern, but I thought I may have luck asking if anyone knew of an OEM rotor fitting this application that I could use instead to save a few bucks...TIA
Old March 11th, 2009, 17:03
NAXJA Forum User

the crown vic has problems, the biggest is the backing plates on the axle shafts, according to markw, and the beggining of this post, he has found a way around switching over to the rubicon retainer plates by using the teraflex spacer.... i will be trying this shortly on a crown vic setup... Everything besides the retainer plates is cake walk, opening up holes in the rotor, and the actual brake backing plate (the thing that holds the ebrake), nothing difficult... you also gotta clearance the axle housing ends, to mate up clean to the brake backing plates. everything is pretty much obvious, no surprises, you'll see what needs to be ground where.

i will be trying a hybrid of both markw's writeup , and the jeepin.com article, hope to get the best of both worlds, as having those bearings pressed off and then back on over the new rubi plate was the biggest fuss.

i used this writeup http://www.jeepin.com/features/cvdiscs/
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcm View Post
good question,
a better question. is, has anyone cut the shield away yet? can it be done cleanly?

picked up some explorer brakes for a friends d44, and i became VERY annoyed when i found out the dust shield is pretty much gotta stay....

the caliper is also TINY compared to the crown vic calipers..... so far... i gotta say the crown vic seems like a better swap...
i decided to do w/o the ebrake and add line locks for the parking brake so i removed the dust cover. it came of cleanly you just have to drill out the little spot welds that hold it on.
Old March 13th, 2009, 16:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessxj89 View Post
i decided to do w/o the ebrake and add line locks for the parking brake so i removed the dust cover. it came of cleanly you just have to drill out the little spot welds that hold it on.

on the CV or explorer?
if its on the explorer, did you just junk the entire ebrake mechanism except for the pads? it seems sketchy to me... those little arms peices seemed dangerous to remove...
on the cv stuff, it is ZERO problem....
Old March 16th, 2009, 14:29
NAXJA Forum User

it was on the explorer and i junked the entire e-brake assembly including the pads. it just looks like a caliper bracket. i see no real reason for me to keep messing with the ebrake when i have an auto and dont really need it anyway
Old March 20th, 2009, 13:24
NAXJA Forum User

a little bit off-topic, but my friend wants to make a disc conversion on a TJ with D44 and rear drums. It is a 2004 TJ, with ABS.

We allready played with the disc brake conversion kit from Crown, or ZJ backing plates.

There is no room for a drum version of ABS pickup. Tried to use a ZJ disc ABS pickup, but it looks like the ABS tone ring on a drum d44 shaft is smaller than on a disc version so there is too much space in between.

Anyone solved the ABS problem? He insists on having an ABS
Old March 22nd, 2009, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

from what I read, with the crown vic conversion you have to run aftermarket wheels. Will factory wheels work with the explorer setup?
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:49
NAXJA Forum User

Just got done with my swap to Ford Explorer 8.8 brakes and I love it. Here's the link to the build:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post244350100

Thanks to everyone for providing there info on the swap.