NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2019, 09:03
NAXJA Member

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Those of you that have relocated battery to the back, did you run a ground all the way to the front? Or just ground to the chassis? For most things a chassis ground would be fine, my only concern would be the winch. Trying to get stuff rounded up for this. Was planning on 2/0 cable with battery disconnect on positive side, just because, and then an isolated stud up front to branch circuits off of.
A few years ago I was discussing running winch cables to the rear with Tom Houston. He said to run a ground cable, because the chassis ground is less reliable. I'll listen to the electrical engineer on this one.
Old June 17th, 2019, 12:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
For me, there wasn't enough room. Even then, rear mounted helps with distributing the weight as much as possible.

I understand your reason there isn't any room , but a nearly full fender xj without big dove nose should fit. Last time I weighed my XJ there was only a 50lb difference between front and rear axle weights .
Old June 17th, 2019, 12:43
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-tonxj View Post
I understand your reason there isn't any room , but a nearly full fender xj without big dove nose should fit. Last time I weighed my XJ there was only a 50lb difference between front and rear axle weights .
Yea it's not gonna fit up front. I got plenty of space out back so I'm not worried.
Old June 17th, 2019, 13:17
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Yea it's not gonna fit up front. I got plenty of space out back so I'm not worried.
I got lazy so I put the battery up front where all I needed to do was mount the new tray ... I will run the other Two yellow tops to the back if I put the amps and subs in the xj I have sitting , but I'm having reservations about that much useless audio equipment in a trail rig as the total weight of the two 15s , box, batteries, amps , and mounting about 400lbs ... lol... the audio equipment was an impulse buy ;-)
Old June 17th, 2019, 15:27
NAXJA Forum User

not sure if Liberty 8.25 axles are the same length is X J's but I'm pretty sure I just left two 29 splines on the ground at Anderson's Salvage.

The e-brake cables don't seem like they would fit an XJ. they go into the back seat of a liberty so I didn't pull them but sway short looking. Somebody already had taken the rotors and all the wheel studs, seems kind of weird.
Old June 18th, 2019, 08:13
Jeepoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
not sure if Liberty 8.25 axles are the same length is X J's but I'm pretty sure I just left two 29 splines on the ground at Anderson's Salvage.

The e-brake cables don't seem like they would fit an XJ. they go into the back seat of a liberty so I didn't pull them but sway short looking. Somebody already had taken the rotors and all the wheel studs, seems kind of weird.
They are. On the 8.25 I have with KJ discs I got a modified ebrake cable to make it work. I bought it that way and can't remember what it's from. Only difference in the KJ vs XJ is the mounting brackets. Obviously a XJ is bolt up KJ you need to remove all the junk and then weld on perches.
Mods; 3" IRO lift, ADDCO rear sway bar, 4.7HO with bored fastman TB, AFE intake and Superchip tuner, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" Kolak exhaust
Old June 18th, 2019, 10:58
NAXJA Member #1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
4.88's, 4.89's. Whatever it takes....
Q: Beer?

A: Its 7:30 in the morning!?

Q: Scotch?
Old June 18th, 2019, 15:11
NAXJA Member

On my rear disc brake swap these worked out very nicely to allow me to retain my factory parking brake cables.

https://www.theflopshopoffroad.com/p...cable-adapters

I'm using ZJ D44 rear discs on my 8.25, but they're the same basic brake setup as both the Liberty 8.25 and Explorer 8.8 ones.
Old June 19th, 2019, 06:57
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj-grin View Post
Q: Beer?

A: Its 7:30 in the morning!?

Q: Scotch?
I recently watched that movie on cable, what a classic!
Old June 19th, 2019, 08:38
NAXJA Member #1096

I need my woobie.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 22:17
NAXJA Member

Spent the day welding with my welder tarped as I got
soaked from , Snow , sleet , hail, and cold ass rain...we had snow in the trees and when I came inside after 10 hours I was ice cold and stiff as F $#% from being out in that in jeans and t-shirt...and soaked, but geez how could this be Al Gore said by now snow would be a thing of the past and global warming is supposed to be "warm".
Old June 23rd, 2019, 08:06
NAXJA Member

Yea it's definitely been a mild and wet summer so far. I keep forgetting we're almost at the end of June already with how cool the temps have been.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 13:29
NAXJA Member

Cut off part of my driver side upper mount to weld on flex joint like the Johnny joint weld on upper...lol...the welds turned out like shyt as there was no way to get a good position and my hobofreight Vulcan hood was not working well it would air darken and go full dark I couldn't see crap , it was a swear fest getting that joint welded on...plus I did not take the joint apart so I had to be careful about putting to much dwell time into it and cover it in wet rags ...I welded on the shank the same way...lol...they appear to be fine welding them up without pulling the guts . Now I just need to drill out the frame side for the 3/4 bolts which is going to be fun with limited access and then get the old clevite out and the synergy dodge ram bushing in ...they are the same as the jeep just with an 18mm thru bolt .
Old June 23rd, 2019, 16:53
NAXJA Forum User

Any one care to spitball ideas for this infernal CEL?
If a pro shop can't find it I'm really hurting
Old June 23rd, 2019, 17:31
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
Any one care to spitball ideas for this infernal CEL?
If a pro shop can't find it I'm really hurting
We're you ever able to get a pic of the scoped patterns? They really need to be scoped together to see where they land. From the verified patterns I looked at the cam sensor should be rising dead center betwee 2 sets of crank pulses (the crank signal consists of 3 sets of 4 pulses). There has also been guys who have removed the distributor key to rotate the distributor to dial in the cam and crank timing.