• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping a Vortec 6.0LQ4 in my 98

98LimitedLQ4

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a spare XJ for parts and as it turns out I got in contact with the last registered owner and will be getting the titling issues sorted out. The plan is to now pull the 6.0 from my 2000 Chevy K2500 4x4 and drop it in using Novak’s engine mounts. I have a few questions for the ones that have done the swap already. Can I retain the trucks style belt drive and components and just add a steel cowl to the hood? Will the 4L80e fit? if reworking the tunnel is needed that is workable. Also can the NP 241C be used instead of the NP 242J, I do like the option of keeping the Jeeps transfer with the part/full time transfer. But also if I could just drop in the Chevys Eng/trans/case that would make wiring a bit easier, and save on adapter plates. Also will be swapping the rear to a explorer 8.8 with disc and 4.10 w/lsd. Would the stock D30HP with 4.10s be up to the task of the added displacement the 6.0 is going to provide. Thanks in advance.

New here but going to follow this closely. I'm currently at the beginning of my own swap (LQ4 into an '01). Almost done rebuilding my junkyard motor and getting ready to start ordering from Novak.

To answer your first question, you would have to cowl the hood if you keep the truck accessories due to the alternator and intake heights.

I was told that a 4L80E would fit with some trans tunnel "massaging" so I'm holding off on getting one (despite its easy availability in my area) and trying to find a 4L65E or 4L70E. If getting one of those new or rebuilt proves too difficult, I might get the 4L80E instead. Just know that it's also longer and then you might run into driveshaft angle issues.

I'm not sure about axles yet but your question is one I'll need to have answered too.

Would the stock D30HP with 4.10s be up to the task of the added displacement the 6.0 is going to provide.

I'm not sure about axles yet but your question is one I'll need to have answered too.

the answer is subjective to use, but certainly heavily skewed towards, "no."

running around on the street or the odd sand dune climb, your probably fine. get that axle bound up or in any high wheel speed situation that suddenly finds traction and your going to spit out shafts and u joints like sun flower seeds.

seen plenty of 4 bangers break 30s and personally have broken a few chromo shafts in a ford 44 with a tired old 4.0. youre doubling hp and torque dropping in a Lq4. ya... your usage might be different, you can probably make a 30 live a happy life with prudent use of the skinny pedal. but realistically your not puting an LS in use 20% of its potential. maybe you just want the vehicle to roll down the road and youll adress the axles later. maybe a D30 would lead a happy life for you. but it was impossible for me to keep one alive behind stock power, based on personal experience i couldnt ever recommend one behind an LS.

the easy answer is one tons, the 05+ super duty axles are incredible for the strength vs cost they offer. fab 9s if money is no object. but with seeing the abuse that a lot of these aftermarket jk 44s are taking, i really like that option for a rig that sees street driving to and from the trail.

I tried the Dana 30 with V8 life. And no amount of money slowed my miserable luck with having that combo.

In my opinion axle swaps are a prerequisite to LS swaps

the answer is subjective to use, but certainly heavily skewed towards, "no."

running around on the street or the odd sand dune climb, your probably fine. get that axle bound up or in any high wheel speed situation that suddenly finds traction and your going to spit out shafts and u joints like sun flower seeds.

seen plenty of 4 bangers break 30s and personally have broken a few chromo shafts in a ford 44 with a tired old 4.0. youre doubling hp and torque dropping in a Lq4. ya... your usage might be different, you can probably make a 30 live a happy life with prudent use of the skinny pedal. but realistically your not puting an LS in use 20% of its potential. maybe you just want the vehicle to roll down the road and youll adress the axles later. maybe a D30 would lead a happy life for you. but it was impossible for me to keep one alive behind stock power, based on personal experience i couldnt ever recommend one behind an LS.

the easy answer is one tons, the 05+ super duty axles are incredible for the strength vs cost they offer. fab 9s if money is no object. but with seeing the abuse that a lot of these aftermarket jk 44s are taking, i really like that option for a rig that sees street driving to and from the trail.

I tried the Dana 30 with V8 life. And no amount of money slowed my miserable luck with having that combo.

In my opinion axle swaps are a prerequisite to LS swaps

Appreciate both answers. I've looked into axles just in case and my preference is something bolt-in. It's just difficult finding something that isn't extreme for my use case, probably because I'm one of the only people on here who doesn't off-road. The other option I've seen is a D44 out of an early XJ but I've not been able to find one for sale. I live in a city and I love the XJ for its size, absurd 360 degree visibility, and the fact that it's relatively invisible. The only bolt-in options I'm seeing are like $3k and come with vibration disclaimers (although IDK if that would still hold after frame stiffening).

Stock might have been fine for me but I made the decision to make it my only vehicle and it'll have to perform two very specific duties which are:

1. Towing 2-4 sportbikes on a trailer, 2-4 riders, and 2-4 riders worth of track gear & equipment up 1-1.5 hours worth of hills.
  2. To be my fast/powerful but practical daily.

The only factory axle that would be a direct swap would be the TJ/Rubi D44.

Appreciate both answers. I've looked into axles just in case and my preference is something bolt-in. It's just difficult finding something that isn't extreme for my use case, probably because I'm one of the only people on here who doesn't off-road. The other option I've seen is a D44 out of an early XJ but I've not been able to find one for sale. I live in a city and I love the XJ for its size, absurd 360 degree visibility, and the fact that it's relatively invisible. The only bolt-in options I'm seeing are like $3k and come with vibration disclaimers (although IDK if that would still hold after frame stiffening).

Stock might have been fine for me but I made the decision to make it my only vehicle and it'll have to perform two very specific duties which are:

1. Towing 2-4 sportbikes on a trailer, 2-4 riders, and 2-4 riders worth of track gear & equipment up 1-1.5 hours worth of hills.
  2. To be my fast/powerful but practical daily.
for the time and monetary investment something like a tahoe or pickup seems like a much better option. more wheelbase, more interior room, and more cargo room would make for a much more comfortable ride and safer towing. or maybe your friends are child size...

for the time and monetary investment something like a tahoe or pickup seems like a much better option. more wheelbase, more interior room, and more cargo room would make for a much more comfortable ride and safer towing. or maybe your friends are child size...

I don't mind the time or monetary investment and selling my car after I'm done with this = no payments & cheap insurance. I'm also one of the few Americans who doesn't just want bigger and bigger vehicles. In addition to that I live in an area with almost no parking, but I'm lucky enough to have a driveway (albeit a very narrow one). My two options for a small SUV, with cheap insurance, and no monthly payments was either an XJ or TJ/LJ. Those two are narrower than my WRX and the xj is easier to get into and out of my backyard.

i get it, i do. but keep in mind adding displacement and a HD trans isnt going to increase gvwr. something like a range, colorado, or tacoma might be a better bet. just keep it safe.

4 people deep in a cherokee sounds terrible. :roflmao:

i get it, i do. but keep in mind adding displacement and a HD trans isnt going to increase gvwr. something like a range, colorado, or tacoma might be a better bet. just keep it safe.

4 people deep in a cherokee sounds terrible. :roflmao:

I hear you and I would have gotten a 5th gen T4R or a Tacoma if I had the space. Most trackdays should be 2 people and 2 people worth of stuff, but there are some where 2 more of the homies might want to go. Maybe I'll just set a cut off at 2 and be done with it. The last thing I need is some major accident.

Sidenote: Where's OP? I feel like I hijacked his thread but he isn't on here.

I hear you and I would have gotten a 5th gen T4R or a Tacoma if I had the space. Most trackdays should be 2 people and 2 people worth of stuff, but there are some where 2 more of the homies might want to go. Maybe I'll just set a cut off at 2 and be done with it. The last thing I need is some major accident.

Sidenote: Where's OP? I feel like I hijacked his thread but he isn't on here.

hasnt posted since his first post. :dunno:

im wrapping up my 5.3/4L80 swap in my colorado. one thing i wish i had looked into more was the use of the 6L80. i am seeing them more and more in offroad vehicles. gm has had great reliability with this trans in OE applications (not to be confused with the turd 8L80). i would have to look it up in CAD to comment on the width, but i know it is physically shorter than the 4L80, closer to the 4L60 length.

hasnt posted since his first post. :dunno:

im wrapping up my 5.3/4L80 swap in my colorado. one thing i wish i had looked into more was the use of the 6L80. i am seeing them more and more in offroad vehicles. gm has had great reliability with this trans in OE applications (not to be confused with the turd 8L80). i would have to look it up in CAD to comment on the width, but i know it is physically shorter than the 4L80, closer to the 4L60 length.

If I were doing it again. . .which I just might with an LJ in a few years if this one comes out good. . . I'd prob go 4th or 5th Gen to get that 6 speed option if it doesn't require too much hammer work. Nothing like spending lots of money to get slightly better gas mileage out of a s***box with the aerodynamics of a house. :laugh:

I also might just buy a fresh longblock or complete motor for time's sake if I choose to do an LJ. For all intents and purposes it looks like the wrangler LS swap is MUCH easier than than the XJ (taller engine bay, body on frame, D44 stock, more radiator options etc). I honestly should have just gone that direction to begin with but they are STUPID expensive near me. At double the cost of my XJ I didn't want to accept that.

FWIW

A. A 4l80 can be run as a six speed.
B. A trailer with 4 sport bikes should be well within a cherokees tow rating. (Although I would definitely upgrade brakes while swapping axles)
C. There really isn't a need for a 4l80 with a stock lq4. A 4l60 will handle it just fine.

FWIW

A. A 4l80 can be run as a six speed.
at the price of those kits... the 6L80 is an obvious winner. you get tap shifting, like a sequential shifter, much lower first gear, and the double over drive is great for highway use. youll need to swap to a 58x reluctor wheel for use with a gen III LS, but thats about as hard as it gets mechanically.
B. A trailer with 4 sport bikes should be well within a cherokees tow rating. (Although I would definitely upgrade brakes while swapping axles)
C. There really isn't a need for a 4l80 with a stock lq4. A 4l60 will handle it just fine.
id disagree to an extent. a $400 junk yard 4L80 might be over kill. but every 4L60 ive seen used in an offroad application needs $2k worth of internals at some point in its life. but of course thats talking big tires, low gearing, etc. just running around town in a vehicle that weighs much less than the donor? 4l60 is probably ok.

I dont disagree with the prices...they are ridiculous!

And ill stand by the 4l60, I've had good luck apparently. Truthfully, it seems like the better option for length issues....but it all depends what floats your boat.

Solid info guys. Thanks. I MAY have a hookup on a 4L65E from a friend. If I can get it I'd just to get a decent shop to rebuild it.

The axles and my emissions setup are the major unknowns left to plan out. Living in a state that's strict about that adds so much headache because now I might have to modify my gas tank (beyond just a pump upgrade) to have a tank pressure sensor, I need the downstream O2's and to put the advanced EVAP equipment in there.

For axles I'm damn near clueless as I'm just learning about them. I'd prefer something that doesn't cost $3k just for the rear, but if I'm forced to get one I will. There will be no welding until the build is done and I take it to my buddy to add frame stiffeners. Almost all the aftermarket axles I see require welding.

An 8.8 is pretty strong, unlikely you'll break it unless you bind it up somehow. I'd just stay with that.

The front is more concerning if you plan to wheel it harder than a fire road. The Rubicon 44 is probably the easiest upgrade, but barely better than the 30.

I may have missed it, but what size tires are expected?

Last edited:
An 8.8 is pretty strong, unlikely you'll break it unless you bind it up somehow. I'd just stay with that.

The front is more concerning if you plan to wheel it harder than a fire road. The Rubicon 44 is probably the easiest upgrade, but barely better than the 30.

I may have missed it, but what size tires are expected?

31 to 33, no off roading, just looking for a punchy small SUV which in the warm months will move trackday stuff. I want the extra go because it'll be my only vehicle for a while and the 4.0 ain't doing it for me. The only bolt in 8.8 I've seen is on ECGS.

I also need to figure out what ratio I'll need.

Currently I'm thinking :

• Gearing - 4.10
  • Tire Size - 31"-33"
  • Speed @2K in 4th - ~65MPH-~68

I think a 33" tire with a stock lq4 and an 8.8 is a very safe bet for basically on road use. If you "really" are not offroading, then even the d30 is fine...but I'd upgrade brakes and axles anyway.

I think a 33" tire with a stock lq4 and an 8.8 is a very safe bet for basically on road use. If you "really" are not offroading, then even the d30 is fine...but I'd upgrade brakes and axles anyway.

That's great to know. I'm gonna aim for the 8.8. One from ECGS with disc brakes, 4.10 gearing, and a few other bits comes up to ~$2600 delivered. As for the front I'll have to think about that as well but it might wait until fall. I need this built and ready to go by mid/late may.

Back