• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

proper 12v splice?

Sting25

twitter.com/cmchadwick
Ok total newb question…I just got a CB from my wife for my B-Day J I am getting ready to go do the install. I am going to solder the connections and was wondering what the proper way to splice into a 12v wire is? Do I just strip the power wire in the center and solder the new wire to that and tape? Or do I cut the wire twist the 3 ends together solder and use heat shrink? Know both would be functional but was wondering what is proper..

thanks

I do either way, usually just strip, wrap, solder and tape on heavier stuff,
Lighter stuff I cut and solder 3 with shrink wrap

cwlongshot said:
I prefer to run a direct pos and neg wires for my CB's. It cuts down on noise.

X2

CB's "usually" do better wire straight up by themselves. and for future upgrades, look in your fuse block. unless you have an optioned out cherokee, you can usually tap into un-used spots in the fuse block. that way it looks cleaner and you have a fuse.

Mines straight to the battery as well

bowhunter said:
Mines straight to the battery as well

Yeh x2 on the battery.

cb's and radios grounded to the chasis are going to pick up the alternator interference (the tech term I think is called "pink noise")

the further away the better
OR
the neg on the battery

the battery worked for me on my first car

the only PITA part is running the wire

Back