• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter

gilby7887

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep wont start, last few days kinda hard to crank. about 2 weeks ago replaced the NSS, soo i have been starting it with a screw driver >,< and thats not working no longer. Soo i figured it was the started or Solenoid assembly
is there a way to check the starter or Solenoid, while its off the jeep?

There is a way to bench test it outlined in the Hayne's manual (if you have one) or I had mine tested at AutoZone for free.

I just went through this same thing myself. If you have an auto, put in in Neutral, step on the brake and try to start it.

Autozone told me everything was fine though the battery was a tad weak, should be ok for awhile yet. The next morning it was dead...or so it seemed to the g/f. I just took her word for it, picked one up on my way home from work and replaced it. Still dead. I replaced the starter. Started right up...till the next day. Dead again. After researching on this site, and reallizing that i completely ignored the fact that it was an auto...I did the starting in neutral thing, and it's been fine ever since. I'll take the switch out this weekend and clean it.

For manual trannies, the plug is there for the neutral safety switch, the only difference is that the ground is looped. If that gets pinched, chaffed or otherwise damaged, it could keep the jeep from starting.

The easiest way to find out if its a grounding problem within the start sequence, is to figure out which prong on the starter relay is the ground, and ground it directly at the relay. jam a piece of wire down there with the relay, or pull the relay housing and ground it from the bottom. If it starts, you know what you problem is. After that, you need to find WHERE it is.

What year Jeep is this?

well, he said he's been startin it with a screwdriver, so that would bypass the NSS and the factory start relay.
take the starter to vatozone, they'll test it for nothing, and then you can buy a new one, because it sounds as if the starter is hosed.
Do you hear a click when you jump the solenoid with the scredriver? If so the solenoid is moving, so it's the contacts or the starter motor itself. If you get no click, the solenoid is likely hosed.

87manche said:
well, he said he's been startin it with a screwdriver, so that would bypass the NSS and the factory start relay.
take the starter to vatozone, they'll test it for nothing, and then you can buy a new one, because it sounds as if the starter is hosed.
Do you hear a click when you jump the solenoid with the scredriver? If so the solenoid is moving, so it's the contacts or the starter motor itself. If you get no click, the solenoid is likely hosed.

He WAS starting it with the screwdriver, but it's no longer working...which made the NSS suspect again to me.

The other thing that I thought of that would do give the same symptoms is the signal wire from the ignition switch to the coil...depending on what year though, that may or may not be existant. That hung me up for a while on my 94 YJ. But grounding the start system at the start relay is a quick and dirty way make sure that your NSS is not the problem.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I guess my only point that I should have simplified was to not wholly trust the Autozone test. It's severely limited as to what problems it can detect.

thanks for all the input guys, i did take it to autozone they tested it and it spun slow and was grinding, and then it just stopped again sooo i new a new starter all together damn jeeps nothing a money sucker >,<
:smsoap:

Back